General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had a very close Call Saturday......Wife is done riding.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 11:14 AM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Had a very close Call Saturday......Wife is done riding.

Still shook up and have not ridden since.. Wife is done riding. Don't blame her. We were at a stoplight behind a Truck I pulled slightly in the space to the left of the truck ( I never stop directly behind a vehicle) The right lane was a right turn lane so I chose the left between two straight through lanes.

I glance in my mirror hearing the getting louder quick sound of someone standing on their brakes. I had time enough to slam the bike into gear and "jump stall" it into the space between the truck and the car to the left. The car behind me hit the truck.......

Wife said lets go home. I agreed. If it were not for the sound of skidding we would have been toast. SO I bought Vette yesterday so we can still enjoy something outside of the house together.

Since my wife is done I am thinking about selling the Ultra and buying a 1200T Sportster. I don't need a big touring bike if she is not going to ride. Or maybe buy a truck detach kit and make a Street glide out of it...Hate to spend $700 though not knowing what I will do. The Sporty is a one up bike and much more lithe. Going to get back on the bike today and See how I feel about things. She would rather me give up riding but I can't do that. Not now. I will never own a trike so when I cannot ride on two I am done.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:20 AM
hillbillywhisperer
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Would you have been able to get out of the way if you were in the Vette or any other automobile like you did on the Bike?

Old 06-03-2014, 11:20 AM
pab3rd
Club Member

Received 213 Likes on 147 Posts

That sucks, but glad you both are well and the bike too. Good job on your part of being ready to get out of trouble...

Old 06-03-2014, 11:21 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

That's too close for comfort! Glad you heard it coming and made it out okay!

I can't say that I blame anyone that has a change of heart, when something like that happens. We might all have it happen at some point. I stopped riding in '81 when I kept thinking about crashing and sold my bike.

Good Luck in whatever you and you're wife decides to do.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:21 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

You did everything right. Your wife should feel confident riding behind someone with your alertness and skill. Good job keeping yourself and your wife safe.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:26 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Glad you guys are okay. So glad we can split lanes here. Hope you get your nerves back.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:29 AM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you were able to get out of the way.

I always keep my eyes in my mirrors at stoplights.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:32 AM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
That's too close for comfort! Glad you heard it coming and made it out okay!

I can't say that I blame anyone that has a change of heart, when something like that happens. We might all have it happen at some point. I stopped riding in '81 when I kept thinking about crashing and sold my bike.

Good Luck in whatever you and you're wife decides to do.
She was not enthusiastic about riding to begin with. She named my bikes "Widow Maker" But I thought getting a large tourer would make her feel "more safe" than sitting on a pillion with a sissy bar on the Road King and it worked. She felt very planted and comfortable. She was even saying "lets take the bike" when we had to go somewhere. Then this asshat decides not to pay attention.

I took it out this morning, but without her on the back I don't need to muscle a big bike around town. I would just as soon buy a Sportster 1200T. Gonna give that some thought. I don't mind losing a few $k to make her happy and as an around town one up rider The Sporty would be fine. Probably sell it before spending $700+ for a trunk detach kit.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:33 AM
Zeus55
Road Master
Received 113 Likes on 61 Posts

**** happen... You did the right thing and had great reflex but why would you punish yourself because of one accident that never happened.
A couple of year ago I almost got killed by a truck that never saw me, got away with it but it was a close call, but nothing will stop me to ride. If I have to die, I prefer to die while doing something I enjoy.
It might never happen again and with the skills you've demonstrated you should be ok... keep riding!
But you've learned something... never stop in the shadow of a big truck.

Last edited by Zeus55; 06-03-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:37 AM
FatTony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 120 Posts

I would give it a bit of time before making a decision like that. It's only been a few days.

Nice job being alert enough to get out of the way.

Quick Reply: Had a very close Call Saturday......Wife is done riding.