General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rinehart 4 inch slip ons

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 09:05 AM
hunter1jonathan
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rinehart 4 inch slip ons

I am considering purchasing Rinehart 4 inch slip on's for my 2013 FLHTCU Ultra Classic. I am mainly interested in adding a little more rumble to the bike and enhance a little more style into it. I still want to be able to hear the radio at all speeds, so I don't want anything obnoxiously loud.

Is there anybody out there who has any insight on them?

Some questions I would have would be:
Does the ECU need retuned?
Is there a performance gain?
Fuel mileage decrease?

Old 06-04-2014, 09:49 AM
Bandit111
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts

Have them on my 2014 ! fine line there buddy ! you might want to look at a different brand ! i love mine but wouldn't want them any louder ! The bike is stock by the way !

Old 06-04-2014, 09:58 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit111
Have them on my 2014 ! fine line there buddy ! you might want to look at a different brand ! i love mine but wouldn't want them any louder ! The bike is stock by the way !
Exhaust sound is one of the more subjective subjects around.

What sounds "sweet" to one person, is obnoxiously loud or too quiet to someone else.

I have the 4" Rineharts on my Street Glide.
I started with just the slip on's and factory head pipe with cat.
It was a nice mellow sound, not a whole lot louder than stock.
No problems in hearing the radio at all.

I then added the V&H Power Duals head pipes.
Now they are quite a bit louder than before (no cat), but still have a pretty good sound too them
Not obnoxious at all, and I don't have any problems hearing the radio.

The nice thing about a bagger, is the pipes exiting the rear and all the sound behind you.
Of course I came from a bike with V&H short shots. Now those were obnoxious. LOL

Old 06-04-2014, 10:01 AM
Mike_M
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hunter1jonathan
I am considering purchasing Rinehart 4 inch slip on's for my 2013 FLHTCU Ultra Classic. I am mainly interested in adding a little more rumble to the bike and enhance a little more style into it. I still want to be able to hear the radio at all speeds, so I don't want anything obnoxiously loud.

Is there anybody out there who has any insight on them?

Some questions I would have would be:
Does the ECU need retuned? If you're not changing anything else, then no, you don't need to retune your ECM.
Is there a performance gain? You may actually lose just a hair of performance due to slightly reduced backpressure. Then again, you may not notice it at all.
Fuel mileage decrease? Again, if you don't change anything else in the system, you probably won't notice a decrease if any
With the 4" Rineharts, I had to turn the volume up just a little over when the bike was stock. Unless you experience relatively major hearing loss, you'll be able to hear the stock radio at all speeds (that the bike is capable of) without maxing out the volume control.

One of the biggest problems with just changing out the stock slip-ons for something aftermarket is that you then get the urge to "gut the cat" or replace the stock head pipe with aftermarket pipes. Then, because the exhaust flows more freely, you get the idea that you should change the air cleaner to also flow more freely; then since you're doing that, you NEED to modify the ECM with a tuner. Then, ....

You get the picture?

Old 06-04-2014, 10:08 AM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the 4" true duals and they are not loud at all my bike was dynoed and it made them eve quiter. Like someone said sound us subjective. My wife has a standard with sampsons on it at its 3 times as loud as my bike. And if only get the slupons no you do not need a dyno. I would suggest the true duals a breather a tuner and the dyno on your bike. It will run a lot smoother and it won't be as hot when the cat is gone

Old 06-04-2014, 10:26 AM
hunter1jonathan
Novice

Very great replies everyone! I appreciate it! More noticeable power? Fuel economy loss?

Old 06-04-2014, 02:23 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by hunter1jonathan
Very great replies everyone! I appreciate it! More noticeable power? Fuel economy loss?
You won't notice any performance increase with slip ons.

If you change the head pipe and air filter, and get a tune then you will notice some improvement.
But not a lot until you get into more serious mods.

As for fuel economy, what little improvement might be gained by a more efficient engine will be lost by the "fun factor" of your new sound/power.
So, in the end it is easy to end up with slightly worse fuel economy.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:04 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I have 4 inch Rinehart's on my 2010 Ultra. When I first installed them I was disappointed but that was with the cat. After I removed the cat they were just right. I went a head and installed a PC 5 and a DK Custom 587 high flow AC. I'm happy with this set up and last time I checked my mileage was 38 mpg.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:12 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

i have them on a 96ci RK, with "no cat" OEM head pipe.

they are almost too quiet, so I would say they are just right,
got them used, so no idea on what baffles are in there.
But I can see the O2 sensors with a flashlight

I had 3' rineharts on my last bike, and they were LOUD, made my ears ring.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:13 AM
hunter1jonathan
Novice

People are saying "no cat". I have never heard of that term. What would that be?

Quick Reply: Rinehart 4 inch slip ons