General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody else go to Rolling Thunder?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 06:48 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Anybody else go to Rolling Thunder?

First off, I am not a vet but thankful to those who served and those who serve now. We went up Thursday and had a great time seeing old friends and meeting new ones. We visited Arlington and the wall for candlelight services. Rode in with Patriot HD. Rolling Thunder Ride started at 12 and we moved at 1:20. We were 1/3 through the north parking lot. I have no idea when the poor souls in the south lot got to move. Crowds were huge. Rolling Thunder estimates over 1 million participated. No problems that we heard about.

For those who served, you owe it to yourself to go and experience the feeling. For those that didn't, go to tell a vet how much you appreciate them.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:09 PM
Wheels24
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Went for the first time this year and will be back. We must have been in about the same place in the parking lot...I started rolling at 1:20 too. The ride around the mall was very cool...seeing the saluting vet's along the way was indescribable for me. My dad is a WWII vet...still alive at 91 in Florida. I'm not a big fan of huge group rides, but that one was well worth it and I'll do it again.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:23 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

rode to the "wall" before all the runs, rained all the way there from Wv.
Knelt down and cried when I first saw it. Can't go back just like I can't go to Ground Zero; towers were finished year I graduated HS.
God Bless them all.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheels24
Went for the first time this year and will be back. We must have been in about the same place in the parking lot...I started rolling at 1:20 too. The ride around the mall was very cool...seeing the saluting vet's along the way was indescribable for me. My dad is a WWII vet...still alive at 91 in Florida. I'm not a big fan of huge group rides, but that one was well worth it and I'll do it again.
Yep we were right behind the CMA tent where they gave away water. They pushed a Goldwing trike there with a dead battery right before we moved. Nice couple on our right each riding their own and a bright yellow dresser just to our left. We were second in line I think on our row. My dad was a vet and so was the wife's. Two of the folks we rode with were vets. Glad you enjoyed it. was our 9th year

Old 06-05-2014, 05:23 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I live in the area but don't attend Rolling Thunder anymore. It's definitely worth doing if you have never been.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:03 AM
LudemJo
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was there, about two rows from the end of the parking lot...near the fire engine that was spraying water to cool off in. We rolled at around 2:00. My wife and I rode in with the group from Whitt's HD in Manassas. Even that ride was very cool, with all the people standing on the overpasses on I-66 waving as we passed underneath. It was remarkable how pleasant the crowd was as we were waiting in the parking lot for many, many hours...I didn't even hear a single complaint or negative comment from anyone within earshot.

The ride around the Mall was emotional for both my wife and I. She started to cry when we passed the Marine that was saluting with the Vet in the wheelchair in front of him. As a veteran, I still get choked up when I hear the national anthem, the support, enthusiasm, and participation of all the people on the route was almost overwhelming. I am proud to be an American...and a veteran.

Here is a picture of the Pentagon parking lot:

Old 06-05-2014, 06:33 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

Last time I went was in '05. We were in the middle of the parking lot at noon. It took 2 hours before we got to move out, and the weather changed from bright and sunny to rain, then back to being sunny. Was an experience that we still talk about.,,

Old 06-05-2014, 08:32 AM
Damn_Yankee
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

This was my first Rolling Thunder. It was very inspiring and emotional. It was after 2:00 before I got moving.

I Left a couple days early and took the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive on the way up. Except for the $100 parking ticket I got in downtown DC on Saturday, it was a great trip. I plan to go again next year.

Another shot of the north Pentagon parking lot. I was parked along the next row of light poles, that aren't in this picture, off frame to the right. It would have taken a wide angle lens and a helicopter to get the entire group, in both lots, into one shot.