General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Line Flush

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 09:02 PM
KYBill
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Brake Line Flush

Dropped off my 2013 Road King Classic at the dealer this morning for 5,000 mile service. An hour later the service department called to tell me they found a bad seal on the intake ( covered under warranty) but my brake fluid tested over 4% moisture so Harley reccommended a brake line flush under these conditions ( not covered, additional $90).

Has anyone else encountered this? The service guy said it is due to Harley switching back to DOT4 fluid and porous lines absorbing moisture. Then he said its a normal wear item at recommended 2 yr intervals.

I told him I picked up the bike 14 months ago brand new and he said that it was 2 years from the manufacture date on the bike. So I called bullshit and then the sales manager for the dealership and sales took care of it, no charge. They also said not to even argue things with service, just call my sales guy and the sales manager will work for me. Bike has 4,700 miles, garage kept unless it rains while I'm out riding.

Never heard of flushing brake lines on any car or bike I have ever owned unless replacing the lines themselves or on very old bikes. Maybe I'm out of touch with the technology?

Old 06-04-2014, 09:15 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,907 Likes on 3,015 Posts

DOT 5 is prone to moisture more so than DOT 4. So flushing 5 every 2 years isn't unreasonable in a humid climate.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:19 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,946 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Mine gets changed every 2 years per manual.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:26 PM
dertyone22
Cruiser
Received 325 Likes on 95 Posts

KYBill. I agree with you that it should not need to be done under 2 years. After A while brake fluid can get moisture or break down depending on the DOT used. The service dept was trying to get an hours labor for flushing and filling something that the "average Joe" would just say Ok. Good for you on getting the sales dept involved.

2 years ago I had to store my bike at the dealership for winter storage. They do a big inspection and safety check on the bikes before putting them away. Of course they found issues that "needed attention" and my brake fluid showed moisture in the lines. Wanted to charge a boatload of cash and I said no. Myself and my Indy are the only ones that do work on my bike.

In the spring I pick up my bike and wash it when I get home. As I'm drying it with the blower I noticed they did not screw on the back brake res tightly and a screw was missing. Now it had water in it and I ended up flushing it with a tool from Auotzone for under 20 bucks. Granted my bike was 8 years old and it was time to flush.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:50 AM
BDHABT
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it yourself;its not that hard.

We have a BG brake flush machine at work;(indy automotive),and that thing gets a ton of use.Its easier and cheaper to flush the braking system on a car or truck,than to replace ABS components.

I flush the brake fluid on my truck once a year;never has a chance to break down.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:38 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

My niece is a tech at a large dealer and she maintains my bikes for free. She flushes the brakes on my bikes every couple of years. I had the brakes on my truck (2005) flushed this past winter. They felt spongy and that was the cure.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:00 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,382 Likes on 4,119 Posts

Originally Posted by KYBill
Never heard of flushing brake lines on any car or bike I have ever owned unless replacing the lines themselves or on very old bikes. Maybe I'm out of touch with the technology?
I've always bled my brake systems every two years. Keeps good fluid in the system and moisture out. Takes very little time and is a heck of alot cheaper than rebuilding/ replacing your master cylinders. I value my brakes!

Old 06-05-2014, 07:53 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,703 Likes on 1,988 Posts

I flush mine every year or 10,000 miles. It takes only a few minutes to do myself.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:54 PM
rideflhr
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

2 years ,all vehicles should be flushed.I have power flush things for my cars but you can do a Harley EZ. Find a length of clear plastic tube that fits tite on the bleeder. Buy a large syringe that fits the tubing. Crack the bleeder and suck the fluid out. Make sure you keep topping off the master and close the bleeder when you need to empty the syringe.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:21 PM
banjoray
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
DOT 5 is prone to moisture more so than DOT 4. So flushing 5 every 2 years isn't unreasonable in a humid climate.
Being a silicone base, I thought DOT 5 was less prone to moisture?

Quick Reply: Brake Line Flush