General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Vision connector question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 02:49 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,406 Posts
Default Power Vision connector question

I bought a PowerVision 2 the other day. Haven't been home yet to actually put it on the bike, but I have a question on the cable and connector.

The cable that connects the PV unit has the CANBUS diagnostic connector on one end, the other end of the cable has a plastic moulded connector that fits in the corner of PV2. All pretty straightforward.

However - there is a separate moulded insert that fits into the PV2 connector end of the cable. With this removed, the cable fits fine into the PV2 - but if the insert is there, the connector won't fit on the PV2.

OK - I know I have explained that pretty badly, and I can't take pictures at the moment as I am at work. But I figure there might be someone here who knows what I am actually talking about!

What is the point of the insert in the connector? At first I thought it might be to waterproof the connector itself if the PV isn't actually on the bike - but it doesn't even cover the connector pins!

Any ideas?

Old 06-05-2014, 03:09 AM
ghira75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adm
I bought a PowerVision 2 the other day. Haven't been home yet to actually put it on the bike, but I have a question on the cable and connector.

The cable that connects the PV unit has the CANBUS diagnostic connector on one end, the other end of the cable has a plastic moulded connector that fits in the corner of PV2. All pretty straightforward.

However - there is a separate moulded insert that fits into the PV2 connector end of the cable. With this removed, the cable fits fine into the PV2 - but if the insert is there, the connector won't fit on the PV2.

OK - I know I have explained that pretty badly, and I can't take pictures at the moment as I am at work. But I figure there might be someone here who knows what I am actually talking about!

What is the point of the insert in the connector? At first I thought it might be to waterproof the connector itself if the PV isn't actually on the bike - but it doesn't even cover the connector pins!

Any ideas?
I have the PV1, bought it almost a a year ago, I know what piece you are talking about, also no clue what it is for, I guess to attach some other different cables for other applications with the same type of case?

whatever, I since left it in the box and succesfully used the pv without it.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:31 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Isn't it just a protective cap? Or am I thinking of something else?

Old 06-05-2014, 09:11 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Old 06-05-2014, 01:41 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
Isn't it just a protective cap? Or am I thinking of something else?
That's what I'm thinking, don't even remember the piece.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:08 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Originally Posted by adm

Any ideas?
I know what you're talking about.
You're wondering about that little plastic insert that goes into the connector opening on the pv2, I think I put that piece back in the box..I couldn't figure out how to use it ether.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:58 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by JustDave13
I know what you're talking about.
You're wondering about that little plastic insert that goes into the connector opening on the pv2, I think I put that piece back in the box..I couldn't figure out how to use it ether.
Exactly!

It's a bit strange. I thought it was some kind of protective cover, but it doesn't actually cover the connector pins. Oh well....guess there's no need for it. Maybe it's for a different Dynojet product that uses the same cable or something.

Anyway, I plugged the PV into the bike this evening once I got home and flashed the tune that FuelMoto supplied it with. Bike is stock 2014 FXDF with just KhromeWerks HP Plus slip ons and still less than 500 miles. I'm still running it in.

Big difference! It seems much smoother and the decel popping that had started when I added the slip ons (actually, probably not started, just more audible once the stock mufflers were removed) was pretty much gone. Just a nice gurgle when rolling off the throttle now.

The bike also seems to pull better and run cooler. So I am very happy.

I have a DK Customs Outlaw 636V A/C and a D&D BobCat exhaust on the way, so when that all arrives I will do the wiring for the PV and mount it on the bike, then flash with the FuelMoto map I have for that config and then run auto tune.

But I am very pleased with the difference the PV and the FuelMoto map has made over the stock tune on this new bike already.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:06 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Here's a pic of the little widget anyway....

Old 06-05-2014, 04:08 PM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's all plastic then it's for protection, not connection.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:33 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by patrickd
If it's all plastic then it's for protection, not connection.
Well.....yeah. It definitely doesn't help connection. But it also doesn't provide any protection,

But. It fits into the moulded part of the connector that plugs into the PV. I could understand that if it was a filler piece to fill the voids in the connector. See the pic below for the connector WITHOUT the part.

And now....with:

As you can see, it looks much more finished "with". But can't connect to the PV like that. Not even close. And it doesn't protect the pins of the connector at all - so what is the point? As an ex-engineer it offends me.

Last edited by adm; 06-05-2014 at 04:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Power Vision connector question