General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torn between two lovers...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 03:57 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Torn between two lovers...

Hi all,

First time posting in the general chat forum, but thought I should based on some good advice I've received on the Sportster board. At this point I'm really looking for lots of feedback from people who have ridden many different bikes.

As most here know my new 2014 48 got crushed a couple of weeks back. The trucker's insurance has picked up the tab for the full amount (see full thread here https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...ye-harley.html)

I can simply replace the 48, and still have enough left over to replace both exhaust and air intake (plus I still have the Danny Gray Seat and DK Custom foot pegs that I had just put on).

I really liked the bike, the platform, the agility and frankly it was just darn fun to ride. I guess they call them "Sportsters" for a reason. It was a rush to ride it.

Still, I had to look around, and today I got to try out the Dyna Street Bob for an extended 12 mile ride. The dealer is giving me a good deal on it, but it would still be a stretch in that the insurance money would cover practically everything but I'd have to pull some money for down pmt (which of course I already did on the last bike so I'd be double dipping a bit).

The Street Bob was smooth and incredibly comfortable, the kind of bike that I feel like I could look around and enjoy the scenery with as opposed to the hold on tight rush feeling of the 48. Of course the Dyna has the bigger motor which probably doesn't matter that much to me since I won't be touring and interstate time will be extremely limited. I liked the weight in that it was heavier than the 48 but not like a softail. It seemed to handle quite well albeit not as "sporty". The smoothness is what really got me, maybe like going from a Tercel to a Mercedes.

My style of riding (at least right now), is short jaunts in my rural area. An hour in each direction every now and again and whenever I can fit it in. I'd love to think that every now and again I might be able to ride for an entire day but it won't be often given work and family. Hopefully in the future I'll be able to ride more, but like most on this forum I don't buy into the idea that the sportster is not suited for longer rides (other than the crazy 2.1 gal tank). I like the looks of both bikes, the SB looks more like an adult bike and the 48 has that cool racy look.

I'm completely torn, and while I know that most will say "go with what you feel best on" or something like that I really can't say which I feel best on. So instead I'm simply asking what would you do? I've gotten a ton of great feedback from Sportster riders along with many others but thought this may be a good forum to post in.

thanks in advance

Old 06-07-2014, 04:01 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Go with your Gut. Its usually the right choice

Old 06-07-2014, 04:27 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds like you really enjoy the 48. Save your money and get another new 48. A Sportster will go anywhere any other Harley will in case you decide to tour. Perhaps not quite as comfortable as some but you will be stopping more often for fuel anyway.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:29 PM
Elmicko
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go for the Street Bob. It's going to let you relax and enjoy the ride more. My even give you the urge to look for more opportunities to ride.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:24 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

Feeling like a fool...

Old 06-07-2014, 06:32 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

When you own a Sportster like I did, I always wanted a "bigger" bike. Once I traded in my Sportster for my Heritage, I was in love with the Heritage.
But now I wish I would have kept the Sportster and bought the Heritage so I had both.
I'll bet your feeling the same way no matter which bike you go with.
So go with the Dyna for now, then pick up a Sportster latter down the road.
Problem solved!

Old 06-07-2014, 06:54 PM
el_chupo_
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like you are stuck with a dealership, not paying cash to a private owner, correct?

I would get to my local dealer and look for a pre-owned Dyna, Street Bob if thats what you want. I dont think you will really need the 103 based on your post, so the 96 in the 07+ will be fine, and while the cost difference may not be huge, it may keep you from having to dip into savings again.

And bargain a bit. You just gave them some cash for the 48, they ought to be able to work with you a bit on another bike. And negotiate, they dont pay great on trade ins, but they keep the price up there...

Also, you can make the changes you need to customize it later, if you decide to go that route.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:34 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,863 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
Feeling like a fool...
"Loving both of you is breaking all the rules..."

Hahaha, good catch Baka!

OP, get the Sporty. You obviously really liked the bike...no reason to switch.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:54 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Street Bob all the way. All day.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:02 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
When you own a Sportster like I did, I always wanted a "bigger" bike. Once I traded in my Sportster for my Heritage, I was in love with the Heritage.
But now I wish I would have kept the Sportster and bought the Heritage so I had both.
I'll bet your feeling the same way no matter which bike you go with.
So go with the Dyna for now, then pick up a Sportster latter down the road.
Problem solved!
It's a good thought, and you may be right that I'll keep thinking of the bigger bike. I've also heard just as often about people wishing that they had also kept their Sportsters. Unfortunately I will always be a one pony rider. Way too many stupid expensive hobbies including Road Cycling and Mtn Biking which get pricey along with a 7 year old.

I am currently stuck with a dealer, I've looked at a few to see if they had any 2012+ but haven't had any luck yet but will continue my search.

I have two computer screens and each one has a pic of the two bikes, I can't tell you how much time I've wasted today. Also looking at potential mods on each and which speaks to me more. Frankly it's too bad that the ride quality is so completely different on each and that I liked both equally but in different ways.

Quick Reply: Torn between two lovers...