General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cancelling Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 02:00 PM
JuniorNasty
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Cancelling Warranty

Hi everybody,
I was wondering who I could contact to confirm when my warranty was cancelled? I asked my local dealer to do it last year and it wasn't done so I called back and they finally did cancel it however, the money I got back is way less than I was supposed to get. I'm thinking the amount I got back is because they cancelled only this year and they couldn't back date to when it should have been. I am trying to get info from my local dealer but nobody seems to be able to give me an answer. Can I call Harley Canada directly and ask? Any info is appreciated.
Thanks

Old 06-09-2014, 02:03 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,875 Likes on 17,362 Posts

Call the warranty company and ask them what date the cancellation was received. If that date varies from what you believe it to be you need to produce written evidence of your date of requested cancellation and receipt thereof by the party you informed.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:23 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you have verification (including the approximate date) from last year that you asked to have the warranty cancelled, e.g., an e-mail sent to the dealer's e-mail address…certified letter…etc.?

In lieu of that, will the person you spoke with at the dealership confirm the approximate date you asked to have the warranty cancelled?

It's not helping you this time around, but I learned to always follow-up on such things with people. Just in general, it's a good idea to presume people will forget what you've asked them to do, and it's always good to touch-base with whomever you've spoken with after a week, or two, to make sure what you've asked to have done has actually been done.

As for the refund to you, that would certainly be based on when the policy was cancelled. Which will bring you to the first part of this reply…can you establish an earlier, verifiable date for your cancellation request than the recent call to the dealer?

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 06-09-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:08 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it wasn't done in writing then it did not happen. That means if you did not get a cancellation notice or send one ---it did not happen. The refund may have the cancellation date or the warranty company may have the cancellation date written somewhere. Sounds like you don't have **** but what they sent you. If you do have written proof then compare dates.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:34 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The dealer just sells it to you.

Call the number on your card directly and ask. There is paperwork that should have been filled out.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:09 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Just for info, we bought an extended warranty because of the known problem of the cam chain tensioners. We also financed the bike.

I cancelled the warranty when I installed the Andrews 21 gear drives. We did not get a refund. What we got was the equivalent pro rata amount applied to the HD loan.