General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5,000 Mile Service

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 04:02 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 824 Posts
Default 5,000 Mile Service

My bike has just over 5,000 miles. I stopped in the dealer today to see how much the 5,000 mile service would be. I told him I did my own fluid changes (I just changed oil to Mobil One V-Twin, tranny to Spectro Platinum 6-Speed), and the primary was changed at the 1,000 mile service so it's not even due. He gave me a list of things they would do besides the fluid changes, and frankly, he told me that at 5,000 miles, it probably wouldn't amount to much more than a visual inspection of things. Then he said, without the oil changes, it would still be $170! My question is.....how important is this service, since I just did my own fluid changes myself? The only thing I would like checked was the spokes in my wheels, because I have spoked rims. That wasn't even on his list. I'm thinking about just skipping this. Your thoughts?

Old 06-16-2014, 04:29 PM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

There are checklists online you can download for your bike which lists exactly what they check at every service interval. Register your bike on the harley website and you can download it there.. or Google it for your make/model. You can do everything yourself or find an indy who will do it for like half the price of Harley. Just document everything you did.

For example my indy printed out the Harley checklist and checked off each thing as he did it and signed and dated the checklist and attached his receipt as well.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:32 PM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Get a service manual and learn how to check the spokes your self.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:35 PM
Billsbuffalo
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
My bike has just over 5,000 miles. I stopped in the dealer today to see how much the 5,000 mile service would be. I told him I did my own fluid changes (I just changed oil to Mobil One V-Twin, tranny to Spectro Platinum 6-Speed), and the primary was changed at the 1,000 mile service so it's not even due. He gave me a list of things they would do besides the fluid changes, and frankly, he told me that at 5,000 miles, it probably wouldn't amount to much more than a visual inspection of things. Then he said, without the oil changes, it would still be $170! My question is.....how important is this service, since I just did my own fluid changes myself? The only thing I would like checked was the spokes in my wheels, because I have spoked rims. That wasn't even on his list. I'm thinking about just skipping this. Your thoughts?
The dealers stamp in your service book may make a difference when or if you want to sell your bike.
The price for what is basically a visual inspection seems plenty high.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:46 PM
KSRoadKing
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a link to what they do for each model at each interval. Maybe has slightly changed since these were posted?

http://www.surdyke.com/download/ServiceChecklist/

Old 06-16-2014, 06:00 PM
porschedog
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

If you don't have a HD tech do the work, won't it void your warranty? To me that is worth the $320 they charge around here for the 5k service(which at Petersons actually includes a buttload of service)

Old 06-16-2014, 06:29 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by porschedog
If you don't have a HD tech do the work, won't it void your warranty? To me that is worth the $320 they charge around here for the 5k service(which at Petersons actually includes a buttload of service)
No. The Magnussen Moss warranty Act has been discussed at length here. But in short, the main gist is that a manufacturer cannot void your warranty for doing your own scheduled maintenance or using aftermarket parts.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:48 PM
petdoc94
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use my Indy...Half the price....as long as the specfied checklist is documented ,Harley can't tell you who or where to go.....Just did my 10k....I say to hell with the STEALERSHIPS....they always try and add or tell you you need this.... Just me though...I thought you had to go to the STEALER for service......NOPE!!!!

Old 06-16-2014, 06:52 PM
mickeylynn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer will do a free inspection if you ask them to. After I purchased my last bike used, I brought it in to them to look over. Only thing they came up with that I would need a new rear tire soon. Apparently the guy I got it from rode a bit aggressively since it rolled 6k on my way home from buying it.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:01 PM
BC72067
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you listen to the dealer they will void your warranty for everything under the sun. I bought the bikes and frankly don't give a rats a$$ about the warranties on either of them. I also don't let HD work on my stuff. I'm not paying them 300+ to do what 130 in parts and an hour of my time can accomplish.

Example I have a set of Cobra Speedsters, Arlene Ness Big Sucker 1, and a V&H Fuelpack coming in. With the crush gaskets for the pipes and a quick release mount for a leather tourpak I have a little over 1150 in the parts. Will take a little over 4 hrs to strip the old off, install the new, map the fuelpak and wash the bike. You can probably double that time if the dealer does it and at 95 an hr it would be around 1900 total out of my pocket.

Quick Reply: 5,000 Mile Service