General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Blow out-How to handle safely ?

Old 06-17-2014, 01:45 PM
want2ride
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire Blow out-How to handle safely ?

Being Brand New to the road, Im curious to know who here has experienced primarily a blow out while riding on the highway. Especially how to safely exit the highway or road you where traveling on to get over to the shoulder. More so a 3 to 4 lane highway traveling over near the divider vs. in the lane next to the shoulder lane. Please share your experiences with this situation hoping your experience helps those that may encounter it.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:53 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Safely? that's kinda funny. Pray.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:02 PM
pab3rd
Club Member

Received 213 Likes on 147 Posts

On paper:

If you have a tire blowout, you need to react quickly to keep your balance. You cannot always hear a tire blow. You have to be able to detect a flat tire from the way the motorcycle reacts. If the front tire goes flat, the steering will feel heavy. If the rear tire goes flat, the back of the motorcycle or moped will tend to slide from side to side.

If you have a tire blowout while driving, take the following steps:

Hold the handgrips tightly and concentrate on steering. Try to keep a straight course.
Stay off the brake. Gradually close the throttle and let the vehicle coast.
If it is the front tire that has blown, shift your weight as far back as you can. If it is the rear tire, stay where you are.
Wait until you are going very slowly, then edge toward the side of the road and coast to a stop.

In real life as Mark said. Pray

Old 06-17-2014, 02:22 PM
Nugget Shooter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never had a "blowout" but have had both a front and rear flat over the years. The front was no big deal and got stopped fine...

The rear going flat was a heck of a unnerving experience, the tire left the rim and it was all I could do to keep from losing it. Hold on tight and stay off the brake if possible. If you have to try to brake use the opposite break, not the one with the flat.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:24 PM
BigMESA
Tourer

My understanding is to use engine braking slowly while applying the brake to the tire that is still inflated to reduce speed.

Don't worry about falling off, your *** will pucker so tight the suction will keep you planted firm.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:26 PM
pab3rd
Club Member

Received 213 Likes on 147 Posts
Old 06-17-2014, 02:27 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,022 Likes on 11,050 Posts

40 years of riding never had a blow out. Keep pressure up, don't overload and you won't have one.
If you should have one, pull the clutch, ride straight up and let the drag of the bad tire slow you to a stop.
You can feel a flat coming with handling changes.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:33 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I was on I-70 in Frederick MD back in 1990 when I had a rear tire blowout on my Sportster. I had just made the off ramp exit and "bang" sounded like I got shot at then the bike sat down on the rim. All I could think to do was let off the throttle and let the bike just slow itself till I coasted to a stop at the end of the off ramp. As luck had it, the Frederick HD dealership was right there at the off ramp so I limped in there and got both a front and rear tire.

The thing that gives me chills is a few miles before the off ramp exit I passed a semi at about 80 mph. If I had that blowout at that speed I doubt I'd be writing this.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:36 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Never had one...yet. I put in Ride On in my tires, to hopefully stop anything like this from happening.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:40 PM
ClodeV
Tourer

great question and glad to have read it you made me that much smarter hopefully i never have to put itin practice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Blow out-How to handle safely ?