General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member Seeking advice on purchasing Harley

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 08:12 PM
Blowitoutyourass
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member Seeking advice on purchasing Harley

Whats up guys. Yes, new to the forum and hoping to get some advice. I am planning on purchasing my 1st Harley. I have been riding motorcycles for over 20 years. I started on dirt and then moved to street bikes. I have also spent some time on the track as well. Anyways, I am ready to begin riding a Harley. I have narrowed my decision to a few motorcycles. The question I have pertains to a 1985 low rider. The bike has 80k miles. The evo motor was rebuilt last year that included new cams, pistons, rings, etc....The bike has been completely customized from triple tier forks, side draft carbs, custom fenders, etc.... What I am wondering is how reliable is an EVO motor after being rebuilt. Yes, I understand that with any motor things can go wrong at times. Am I to assume that with this rebuilt 80+k motor that I can possibly put another 80k miles on the bike???? The bike has only 600 miles on the motor since it was rebuilt. Aside from my concern about the reliability of the rebuilt evo motor, the bike looks and sounds outstanding. My neighbor is asking 7k. Any advice/suggestions......Thanks

Old 06-17-2014, 08:47 PM
paolotvl
Novice

If the work is documented and done by a reputable shop, I would not worry too much. The evo is one of the most reliable engineS Harley has ever produced. If it sounds right, runs fine, go for it. I bought mine new in 1995 and it is still in my garage. During all this time I owned and sold many other bikes, street, racing, enduros....I always go back to my Harley. It is not the fastest, it doesn't handle anywhere close to a street bike, you'll drag foot pegs, pipes, frame on the asphalt in curves....but you'll always have a big smile in your face when you ride it.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:49 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really depends on the type of build the motor got. Mild to wild equates to long life to shorter life. Also considering how you ride it. The Evo is a GREAT engine to begin with.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:05 PM
Blowitoutyourass
Stage III

Well, just confirmed that there are no documents to confirm what was exactly completed on the rebuilt evo engine.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:20 PM
popawcritter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If it sounds good with no funny noises I wouldn't be too scared of a rebuilt engine with that many miles but honestly $7,000 seems a little high on price for a 1985 FXS that has 80,000 miles. $5,500 to $6,000 would be closer to what it would bring around here, $4,500 to $5,500 without the rebuild. JMO

Last edited by popawcritter; 06-17-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:25 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

You would be better off with this bike.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/motor...-for-sale.html

Old 06-17-2014, 09:29 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Sounds like a lot of money for an '85,especially with no documents.I've seen plenty of Harleys,mid to late 90's going for that much and less. Unless you really love the bike as-is,and don't want to change anything on it,it might be worth that much.
"Cams" doesn't make sense,Evo has one cam. "side draft carbs" Evo have one carb,and I guess you could call them "sidedraft" because they do stick out the side! Do you mean "triple trees"-as in maybe raked trees? I seriously have trouble with your description,even "custom fenders" gives me doubts.Anybody can bolt on a pair of fenders,but it takes a bit of skill to do them right.[I know of a guy that modified a front fender-it came loose,slid forward,and locked the front wheel]The bike may well be worth considering,but without pics--???
You need to make, I think, 5 posts,before you are allowed to posts pics here,but you"ll get a lot better advice if we can see the bike!

Old 06-17-2014, 09:32 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Ron750 posted up a great example,that blows this '85 right out of the water-even if you had to get it shipped,you'd be way ahead,dollar wise and mechanically!!

Old 06-17-2014, 09:52 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Our classifieds are full of better deals. Like this one. Might not be for sale anymore:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/motor...de-fxdwg3.html

Old 06-18-2014, 02:40 PM
popawcritter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
Our classifieds are full of better deals. Like this one. Might not be for sale anymore:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/motor...de-fxdwg3.html
While both links you posted looked like a good deal there is still a lot of people that wouldn't buy a twin cam at any price. OP didn't state his preference but since he was considering an EVO at that price maybe that is what he likes. Just a thought.

OP whichever you prefer I'm sure there are a lot of better deals to be had in your area.

Quick Reply: New Member Seeking advice on purchasing Harley