General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New handlebar throttle grip too loose

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 09:20 AM
twincambill
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New handlebar throttle grip too loose

I bought a pair of HD cushion grips for my 2008 dyna low rider...the package indicated that they were correct for my bike...but the right hand throttle grip seems overly loose...it is unsettling when steering down the road although the throttle response is better than the original grip. It moves forward and back about 1/4" or so. Tightening the idle cable to take up slack causes the engine rpm to increase turning sharply right. The left grip is good and tight with no adhesive on it. Anyone else have a problem like this? Tightening the throttle friction screw just causes the grip to bind and not move freely. Thanks for any responses!

Old 06-18-2014, 10:12 AM
Briboysr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both the throttle and return cable need to be adjusted in order to achieve proper tightness and proper release,
It takes some trial and error to get just right sometimes.

You want to achieve
1, a fully opened Butterfly plate when at Full throttle
2, No Binding (rpms going up or down when bars are turned full left or full right
3, when you let go of the grip, it should freely slam back to the closed position even at full right and full left.

if not adjusted right it could lead to Problems and even an accident situation. try to find a friend that has some know how and ask for assistance.

Last edited by Briboysr; 06-18-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:29 AM
twincambill
Advanced

Thank you for the response...maybe the fact that the left grip fits tight that it is right for my bike. The fore and aft movement seems off...the slots for the cable ends were slightly more extended out from the grip end than the original grip allowing some movement. Thanks...

Old 06-18-2014, 10:36 AM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I just changed the handlebars on my bike so everything was taken off. Some grips can be a tad longer or shorter. When you say it's "loose".....do you mean twisty loose or bar end fore and aft loose? Make sure the cables are seated properly behind the air cleaner cover. I would start by loosening everything up and then give the cables a fresh adjustment.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:53 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm missing something here: there's something wrong if turning the wheel has any impact on your throttle position.

I mention that because until you figure that out, you'll never get the cable adjusted properly.

Last edited by mmancuso; 06-18-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:59 AM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Put a little glue on the throttle tube then quickly slide grip back on. I have to glue every new one on.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:51 AM
twincambill
Advanced

Yes, it is bar end fore and aft loose...sliding 1/4" or so...some "twisty" loose could be taken up by idle cable adjustment...but then you have to watch for engine rpm increases with a hard right hand turn. Some grips work with "throttle by wire"...this is cable control throttle. There was slight rpm increase with hard right turn with the stock grips as set by the dealer. There is just an overall looseness with this grip in the throttle that I can't seem to correct...maybe get used too...

Old 06-18-2014, 06:25 PM
mallder
Intermediate

Try this. loosen all 4 screws holding the switch housing and bar clamp. then tap on the end of the grip (the intent here is to push the grip further onto the bar).

your new grip might be a little longer than the old one. The right grip has to be loose in order to turn freely but if there is too much side to side play it will feel sloppy. You can eliminate the side to side play by installing the grip so the end of the handlebar just very lightly rubs the inside end of the grip.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:35 AM
twincambill
Advanced

Mallder...thanks for your suggestion...I think you have it...the new grip is slightly longer. I just assumed that the controls were set...if they are moved closer so the bar will just touch the inside grip end...I believe most of the side play and looseness will be eliminated. I was going to try to live with the sloppy throttle...but it was too distracting in traffic. Thank you...I just did not see this solution!

Old 06-19-2014, 09:13 AM
mallder
Intermediate

Cool. Hope it helps.