General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rider

Old 06-18-2014, 12:11 PM
NIKKIELLE
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Rider

I'm just shopping for a bike now. Want to make sure I get what is suitable for me. I am petite (116 & 5'3") and just passed a course and have my M2's. My first thought is to get a Harley....of course!!, but part of me is thinking I should start off on a VStar 650 (this is a suggestion that some are telling me) as I have NO experience! My ego may not like this but I really want to make sure I get some confidence on a bike. What do you guys think. I was looking at the 883 superlow.... some tell me it is front heavy and may not be the best bike to start off on. Once I get the experience.... it may only take one year; I can always get a Harley! hmmmm

Old 06-18-2014, 12:21 PM
cooper14
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats on getting licensed!!!! a friend of mine started on an 883 low and she is very petite and she loves it!!! she says the 883 is very low and light but will keep up when she needs to! good luck with whatever you choose, the v star is a nice ride too!

Old 06-18-2014, 12:32 PM
boro
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

883 low or 1200 low would be a great choice. I started riding at 59 yo. Did the MSF on a Honda Rebel (I'm 6'.) The 1200 custom was really easy to learn on. It may not weigh that much more than the Yamaha 650, and it will be much more enjoyable.

The main thing about learning to ride is not to panic. You've taken the Safety Course. If you controlled the bike well, and didn't experience uncontrolled take offs or stops, you will be fine with a Sportster. You want to make sure you have full access to clutch and brake levers and that feet can touch the ground regardless of purchase. Demo any bike before buying it.

Happy Trails

Last edited by boro; 06-18-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:34 PM
Bulldog10
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id say learn to ride on what you really want to own within reason. Truth is the big HD's are not as easy to maneuver etc.. A sportster is much more nimble.

My personal experience was as a kid getting increasingly larger dirt bikes. But you prolly aren't gonna do that. LOL.

I will never ride my Harley the way I rode competition bikes/street or dirt. But I value that experience.

Buy what you want and feels comfortable. If you want to do road trips Id suggest the 1200 sportster. Youll prolly like it for longer than 883.

Welcome!!

Old 06-18-2014, 12:37 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Go to a dealership and test ride the ones that fit you.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:46 PM
Crusader45
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife is 5' 125 lbs. She just got her motorcycle endorsement on a Buell Blast. After looking at all the bikes at the dealership we settled on a Softail Slim. With it's 23" seat height and low center of gravity she can easily sit flat footed and move the bike around. It's slightly heavier that a sporster but I think it handles better.

Congratulations and good luck in finding the bike that fits you best!

Old 06-18-2014, 12:55 PM
rafael53
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to check them out for yourself and quit listening to people telling you something's not for you. What might not work for one person might work for you.

Get the one you like and want and not one as a stepping stone...I belive in the long run you'll be much happier.

Good luck.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:05 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Go to a dealership and test ride the ones that fit you.
Yep, what he said. If you're like a lot of new riders, you'll quickly "outgrow" the VStar and wish you had more power & style. My ex-wife is small & got an 883 as her first bike and it suits her just fine.

Congrats and welcome to the forum!

Old 06-18-2014, 01:15 PM
Muttleybass
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of the ladies I know have started on something Japanese, then moved up beyond the Sportster. My bud's wife had a Suzuki Marauder and now has a Heritage Softail. Another bud's wife had an 1100 V-Star and now has a Street Glide.

The Sporty is a good option, but you might want to buy with the thought that you'll probably outgrow it in a year. If I were you, I'd consider used.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Old 06-18-2014, 02:17 PM
dsigrist
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Also take a look at the new Street 500 or 700. They have a lower center of gravity than a sporty and should fit you quite nicely.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Rider