General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it us or them?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 04:33 PM
crazyanimal
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Is it us or them?

I don't try to discriminate against other people and what they choose to ride. No nothing is as nice as a Harley but I wouldn't tell them that.

Now you hear the discussion about Harley riders being ignorant to others but is it really the other way around??? I never noticed this so much so until today. Hubby and I went for a ride today and we stopped and there were a bunch of other bikers already there. We got off and not one turned to say hi, they all stood with their backs to us.

We went about doing our thing and went in to Tim's to get a snack and I tried to make eye contact with one of the other ladies and no way would she even look at me.

So in your experiences, do you think it is them or use that is discriminating??

Delta

PS...please no stupid comments

Old 06-21-2014, 04:47 PM
Steady Eddy
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm naturally gregarious and will "howya doin ?" any and every biker as soon as I shut down. Sometimes the non HD riders will be sorta cold, but usually everyone is friendly. I like all kinds of bikes, and I guess it shows. Even found that a group of HA's can be friendly at gas stops an such.
ed

Old 06-21-2014, 04:48 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think it's a little of both. I know people on both sides of that issue. Some are friendly as can be, on both Harleys and others. And some of them are just plain ********. On both Harleys and others. I don't let it bother me because I'm usually too happy just riding my Harley.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:03 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,242 Likes on 8,379 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
I think it's a little of both. I know people on both sides of that issue. Some are friendly as can be, on both Harleys and others. And some of them are just plain ********. On both Harleys and others. I don't let it bother me because I'm usually too happy just riding my Harley.
Me too, happy as a pig in s**t!

Old 06-21-2014, 05:04 PM
Bocefus
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why does it matter? Oh yeah, it doesn't.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:08 PM
Wadcutter
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyanimal
We went about doing our thing and went in to Tim's to get a snack and I tried to make eye contact with one of the other ladies and no way would she even look at me.

So in your experiences, do you think it is them or use that is discriminating??
What makes you think it has anything to do with what you're riding?
If you think so then you've shown it's you, not them.
There are plenty of HD riders with their noses in the air too.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:15 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

I've never had a problem with other riders, no matter what they rode. I don't think it's the Harley so much as the bad boy clothing and tats; I usually wear a mesh jacket and a helmet, which you see more often on metrics. Patched vests and doo rags are almost exclusively Harley. Loud pipes are a turn off for a lot of folks, and it's the first thing most Harley riders do to their bikes; I run fairly quiet pipes. I often have folks look at the bike and chat, never had anyone snub me yet. Maybe they just think it's unusual to see a 67 year old geezer riding anything...

Old 06-21-2014, 05:19 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
I've never had a problem with other riders, no matter what they rode. I don't think it's the Harley so much as the bad boy clothing and tats; I usually wear a mesh jacket and a helmet, which you see more often on metrics. Patched vests and doo rags are almost exclusively Harley. Loud pipes are a turn off for a lot of folks, and it's the first thing most Harley riders do to their bikes; I run fairly quiet pipes. I often have folks look at the bike and chat, never had anyone snub me yet. Maybe they just think it's unusual to see a 67 year old geezer riding anything...
You Yankees are weird anyway. Down here, even Wingdings wear vests and doo-rags.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:19 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last time that happened to me I walked over and said very loudly, "who rides this FZ-09". We talked for a long time about bikes. Just find a reason to break the ice so to speak. Learn as much as you can about "their" bikes and steike up a conversation.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:28 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,427 Likes on 5,918 Posts

Very few people approach me as soon as I pull in a parking lot and want to talk. Neither do I. Just not that chatty I guess, so I could care less. If I've pulled into a particular place my destination is inside, not outside chatting it up with strangers.

A douche is a douche, regardless of the bike they straddle...

Quick Reply: Is it us or them?