General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

unintentional turning of the throttle

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 03:48 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default unintentional turning of the throttle

this ever happen to you

you are riding along and for whatever reason you are turning the front to the left more than intended. because of the situation you are gripping the hand grips a bit tighter than usual. with the front going to the left your right arm is reaching a bit more and you just happen to twist the throttle.

i was going down a gravel road in mississippi when i hit a spot of dirt that was like powder. i started to fish tail a bit. the front went to the left more than i wanted and the throttle got twisted just a bit. this cause the back wheel to spin which sent the front more to the left and thus more throttle and the rear end spun around, did a 180 and the bike went down on its right side. because the dirt was soft not a scratch on the bike, nothing bent and i was fine.

wondering what i could have done. i think the front wheel might have just sunk in and was plowing and the back was already spinning. but how to avoid hitting the throttle.

but then i did a similar increase in throttle down in new orleans. i was coming out onto a street and completely missed a cab that had just turned around the corner to my right. so i was doing a turn to the left when i saw the cab, and i hit the front brake. didn't hit the back cause i hadn't even got my feet up. so the front to the left and hitting the brake is a major no no. but whatever. as you know the bike wanted to fall to the right so i was gripping the hand grip to hold the bike up and in the process was hitting the throttle, but had already got the clutch in so at least the bike was stopped. but i couldn't back off on the throttle until i had the bike righted, cause is couldn't relax my right grip. was riding an 09 ultra that was loaded for the trip and was maybe a tad top heavy. so a heavy bike made heavier and leaning to the right.

again what could have i done to not inadvertantly increase throttle.

i know i know - how about just learn how to ride the darn thing and avoid those situations or at least check first

and stay off gravel roads if you can't do them

Old 06-23-2014, 03:53 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You've been on here since 2007. I'm guessing you've been riding since at least 2007, if not earlier, and are still making these mistakes. There are people who shouldn't be riding motorcycles. Not everyone is cut out for it. Some people just can't get it.

Is it possible you're one of these people?

Here, buy this book
Amazon Amazon

Old 06-23-2014, 04:08 PM
Bocefus
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thumper09
You've been on here since 2007. I'm guessing you've been riding since at least 2007, if not earlier, and are still making these mistakes. There are people who shouldn't be riding motorcycles. Not everyone is cut out for it. Some people just can't get it.

Is it possible you're one of these people?

Here, buy this book http://www.amazon.com/Twist-Wrist-Mo...der_0965045013
The truth, like this, causes a bunch of butthurt around here.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:13 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I've twisted it some by hitting a bump and it lurched a little bit. I know my wife didn't care for it.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:17 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

Possibly your handlebars are not the correct setup for you. They may be causing your arms to be stretched out too far when the forks are turned to the left, causing your arm to pull on the throttle. You should have a bit of bend in your elbows so that it allows the front end to move with out pulling your arms.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:18 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocefus
The truth, like this, causes a bunch of butthurt around here.
Boy, that's sure the truth!

this ever happen to you
Nope. It sounds like it could be partly due to the sizing of your bike (arm length, etc.), partly your technique, partly a lack of knowledge/experience, and just plain not paying attention. Have you ever thought of taking a basic rider's course?

Old 06-23-2014, 04:24 PM
LudemJo
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ultimately, I think you are hanging on too tight. Both situations you mentioned were uncomfortable, and you probably had a death grip on the bars. It is difficult, if not impossible to use your fine motor skills to manipulate the throttle, clutch and brake if you are expending all your energy hanging on.

My advice is to try to stay out of those situations when you feel the pucker factor rising. When you see sand ahead, stop and turn around. Something funky happening at an intersection, let it play out before you move. The people behind you will get over it.

My 2 cents,

Old 06-23-2014, 04:37 PM
Hog 1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't sweat it, just slow down a little. If you must stop do it in a straight line. That goes for taking off too.

I dropped my bike Sunday driving around the parked car in the driveway. So I took the wet grass route and the front slid on the mud. Because I was turning and going slow, I dropped it on the right side. No damage, but my pride was hurt,
LOL
I went inside and told her I dropped the bike on the grass. Come on and I will show you the correct way to pick up a big Harley

Things happen so be in a straight line if you can. Doing corners slowly is risky...

There are two kinds of people who ride bikes. Ones that have dropped their bikes and the others who will.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:06 PM
Renegadewolf
Stellar HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Deucedog
Possibly your handlebars are not the correct setup for you. They may be causing your arms to be stretched out too far when the forks are turned to the left, causing your arm to pull on the throttle. You should have a bit of bend in your elbows so that it allows the front end to move with out pulling your arms.
The stock bars on the Sporty are short, if I didn't have long arms I would probably be twisting the throttle too on left turns.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:19 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

put a little tension on the throttle brake shoe. helps a lot when you arms are flailing around.

Quick Reply: unintentional turning of the throttle