General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife hit by a Moose in Vermont- No really...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 09:11 AM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Wife hit by a Moose in Vermont- No really...

We just got home from our 3600 miles 10 day trip from Atlanta to Niagara Falls, Adirondacks of NY, Vermont New Hampshire and Bar Harbor Maine.

On Day 4 while riding to our hotel at dusk we were on Hwy 2 between Lunenberg VT. heading to Gorham NH for the night. I was leading on my Road King with my 14 year old son as passenger, my sister in law behind me on a Sportster 883, my wife behind her on a 1200 Sportster Custom and two other friends behind her. We rounded a turn at about 40 MPH and a large Moose was standing in the middle of the road straddling the center line. I ducked and swerved to the right passing under the Moose neck and nose, I yelled a warning to my wife and sister in law through our Bluetooth headsets. My sister in law was staggered to the right and passed right by the Moose on the right shoulder. My wife braked hard and was almost to a stop when the Moose ran towards her, lowered it's head and knocked her and her bike to the ground. The other two bikes were able to stop.

Because my wife was wearing a full face helmet and armored gear she was relatively uninjured. Her helmet struck the ground right on the chin bar and face shield. Thank goodness she was wearing a full face helmet. Vermont state police and the county sheriff came to the scene. My wife was transported to the hospital to be checked due to striking her head. She also has a broken pinkie finger. After several hours at the hospital she was released. The ride to the hotel at 130 AM was nerve racking. It was raining and the police and hospital staff told us that stretch of HWY 2 was very dangerous at night because of the Moose and bears. Not two miles from the hotel a large black bear ran across the road in front of my bike. I began to think that the wildlife was out to get us !

We were able to finish the trip with my wife following behind in a rental car. She was not happy about that but couldn't ride due to her broken finger and a broken toe. Her bike was also not in rideable condition and is still in New Hampshire waiting on the insurance adjuster to look at it.

We consider ourselves very lucky. I for one had no idea that the Moose were such a problem in that part of Vermont and New Hampshire but nearly everyone we spoke to had a moose incident story. I can't say enough about the people we met in Vermont and New Hampshire. Everyone that helped us from the state police to the county sheriff and he hospital staff were so nice and friendly. Also must mention the owners of the Mt. Madison Inn in Gorham New Hampshire who even though they were fully booked re arranged some things so we could stay an extra day until my wife felt like traveling again. We will definitely be returning again to Vermont and New Hampshire.

Last edited by Sailrider 1; 06-24-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:22 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

That's crazy. You guys did get lucky. Those things are enormous. Glad you're all okay.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 06-24-2014, 09:24 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,248 Likes on 812 Posts

Makes for a heck of unique crash story. Glad she wasn't seriously hurt, and glad she isn't done with riding from it.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:38 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

Glad to hear that everyone is okay and that your wife was subject to only minor injuries; I hope her recovery is a speedy one.

Regarding the moose stories you heard from the locals... people often don't realize that moose can be pretty aggressive. They really don't have that outward appearance, but they can be mean!

Old 06-24-2014, 09:40 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Wow that's crazy! That's my old neck of the woods before the military, I was born and raised in Lancaster NH but our house was in Guildhall VT and then we moved to Lunenberg VT my last two years of high school. I'd guess since it's the only hospital in the area your wife must have went to the Lancaster one.

My mom mentioned last weekend when I called that there had been a motorcycle/moose accident, small world.
Glad to hear your wife is okay.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:41 AM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
Glad to hear that everyone is okay and that your wife was subject to only minor injuries; I hope her recovery is a speedy one.

Regarding the moose stories you heard from the locals... people often don't realize that moose can be pretty aggressive. They really don't have that outward appearance, but they can be mean!
That's exactly what we heard from the locals. Aggressive, dumb and mean ! I had no idea.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:06 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Very glad to hear she is going to be Ok. I'm glad the helmet and gear was on to help.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:16 AM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Glad she's ok. My wife had an Elk run into the side of her Honda Pilot a couple years ago.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:35 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

We have a lot of deer and elk here in Colorado and up in the mountains, a lot of moose.
Last year 2 people in cages were killed when their cars hit a moose.
I'm glad to hear everyone is okay in your group - sometimes you can't prevent an accident but when one happens, being properly protected sure does help.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:36 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Yup, I agree, that's pretty crazy, but also kinda cool, IMO. Glad your OL is OK, but come on, how many people can say that they've ever been "attacked" by a moose!

Quick Reply: Wife hit by a Moose in Vermont- No really...