General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kill switch while riding at speed

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 12:54 PM
MN_RoadKing
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Kill switch while riding at speed

Almost hit the damn thing once while at highway speed, so I started wondering what happens. Anyone ever accidentally hit it while riding? Is there ever a good reason to do this? If not, why wouldn't the brains of the bike override the kill switch at x-mph (15?) knowing that you really don't want to kill the engine. Maybe it already does but I don't really want to experiment.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:05 PM
Sconnie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I accidentally did this while trying to set the cruise on my Street Glide awhile back. Flipped it back to run right away and as far as I can tell no harm no foul... I wouldn't think it would be wise to do all the time, but nothing catastrophic happened to me..

Old 06-25-2014, 01:06 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Pull in the clutch, flip the switch to start, crank it back up, and continue on your way while making a mental note to not do that again.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:11 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,703 Likes on 1,988 Posts

I've done it by accident with heavy gloves on. Nothing happened, the bike just started smoothly slowing down. In top gear the rear wheel will keep spinning the motor. It feels like you just shut down the throttle (okay, a bit more engine braking maybe). I just flipped the switch back to "on", and the engine fired right back up.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:11 PM
TNCarters
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Never use mine but some of the early 2014 clutch issues where the clutch would not disengage coming to intersections made me think I needed to be sure my thumb can find it quickly in an emergency. Heard old stories of buddies riding up beside someone and reaching over and turning bike off as a joke.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:18 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I pulled the cover off my battery yesterday, while doing about 80MPH in rush hour traffic, and was going to pull the battery cables out for fun when I suddenly realized that it might prevent the bike from running properly. So I stopped. The cover flew out from between my teeth and was run over by a dually, so I'll need to replace that. I had already unscrewed the negative terminal and dropped the screw, so I had to hold the terminal up against my frame for grounding. I want to check first if the bike will run abnormally first before I do it. Does anyone know? Thanks.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:24 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by MN_RoadKing
Almost hit the damn thing once while at highway speed, so I started wondering what happens. Anyone ever accidentally hit it while riding? Is there ever a good reason to do this? If not, why wouldn't the brains of the bike override the kill switch at x-mph (15?) knowing that you really don't want to kill the engine. Maybe it already does but I don't really want to experiment.
Sure it will kill the motor at any speed, that's exactly why its there.
And yes, there are good reasons to use it even at high speed for things other than emergencies, one of which is tuning the bike using what's called the "chop method".

Old 06-25-2014, 01:24 PM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On a not-so-related note...

I never use the stop/run switch. After collecting myself after tagging a deer and low-siding, I couldn't figure out why my bike wouldn't start. Took me a full minute or so to realize the switch somehow flipped when I wrecked. Felt like a true genius.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:36 PM
MN_RoadKing
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thumper09
I pulled the cover off my battery yesterday, while doing about 80MPH in rush hour traffic, and was going to pull the battery cables out for fun when I suddenly realized that it might prevent the bike from running properly. So I stopped. The cover flew out from between my teeth and was run over by a dually, so I'll need to replace that. I had already unscrewed the negative terminal and dropped the screw, so I had to hold the terminal up against my frame for grounding. I want to check first if the bike will run abnormally first before I do it. Does anyone know? Thanks.
Well shoot, that's not the same thing at all. But I get the point. Touché.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:39 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

I've done it before, like others said, flip it back on, and it fires right up again, no need to use the starter.

Did a similar thing in my Dad's New Yorker back in HS, flipped the key off by accident,
and when I turned it back on it backfired so bad that it blew the muffler right off!! OOOPS!

Quick Reply: Kill switch while riding at speed