General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New gaskets when opening up top end?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 07:36 AM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default New gaskets when opening up top end?

I was talking to a local the other night about my recent cam upgrade and some other mods I did myself. We got to talking about adjustable pushrods vs solids, and he brought up the point that adjustables may be the weakest link in the valvetrain being that the nuts can back off or even crack under certain circumstances.

He did his cam upgrade by going in through top end and dropping his old stock solid pushrods back in. No adjustments to worry about and only took him about an hour and a half, etc etc.

Now the interesting part was he said he didnt even have to use new gaskets. When he took cam cover off the gasket was clean, didnt peel off or break and looked brand new so he reused it. Same with top end. No leaks, bike runs great, and he had about 29k miles on bike.

So how many have opened top end up and didnt have to change gaskets or anything? On my old evo the gaskets always tore and came off in pieces.

I know this is subject to opinion but is there anything that really needs changing in top end if gaskets dont break when removing rocker boxes?

Old 06-27-2014, 07:42 AM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 203 Posts

I would put new ones in. Why go through all that work and have to redo it because of a leak? That is not to say I haven't reused gaskets, but they were in more accesable areas!

Old 06-27-2014, 08:08 AM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior

My thoughts exactly. If I opened up top end every gasket and O ring would probably break or need replacing if I didnt have a new gasket kit with me.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:18 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,609 Likes on 4,618 Posts

reusing a gasket is just plain stupid!! for the price of one, are you willing to redo all the work necessary to go and replace it once it starts leaking? Yo own an expensive motorcycle, and find it acceptable to cut corners on gaskets? Wow!! As far as the adjustables being a weak link, the SE adjustables did at one time have a problem with the nuts coming loos and breaking, but that was a long time ago. If you have a real high lift cam and high pressure springs and are hitting very high rpm, you might consider using solid puishrods, as if you are drag racing!! adjustable work just fine. and make repairs/changes easier down the road. buy you friend a beer, and don't listen to his advice!!

Old 06-27-2014, 08:33 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Backyard mechanic reusing gaskets. This is why I don't buy used. You never know who worked on it or what they did. I bought used once and never will again.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:51 AM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

When I did my cams last year, I also stayed with the OEM pushrods which required going through the top end. When I peeled away the rocker cover gaskets part of the imbedded silicone beads would disintegrate, rendering the original gaskets useless. Not a prob for me as I had new gaskets at the ready. As others have already said, why take 'short cuts' on a job so involved? But to each his own....
~

Attached Thumbnails New gaskets when opening up top end?-pic-5.jpg  
Old 06-27-2014, 09:06 AM
hobobiker
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
reusing a gasket is just plain stupid!! for the price of one, are you willing to redo all the work necessary to go and replace it once it starts leaking? Yo own an expensive motorcycle, and find it acceptable to cut corners on gaskets? Wow!! As far as the adjustables being a weak link, the SE adjustables did at one time have a problem with the nuts coming loos and breaking, but that was a long time ago. If you have a real high lift cam and high pressure springs and are hitting very high rpm, you might consider using solid puishrods, as if you are drag racing!! adjustable work just fine. and make repairs/changes easier down the road. buy you friend a beer, and don't listen to his advice!!
+1 on the above. I just took a 2002 Fatboy up to a 95" this past winter, and if I had reused ANY of those gaskets it would have been my luck that it would have failed and started puking oil 50 miles into my break-in period. No reusing gaskets for me...

Old 06-27-2014, 09:19 AM
wraplock
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

does he also re-use condoms? You know.....just turn them inside out?

Old 06-27-2014, 09:42 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I understand completely the opinion of replacing the gasket when exposed.

However, why call someone stupid who doesn't do that because, in his judgment, the old looks fine, he reuses it, and it subsequently does not leak?

If it doesn't leak, then what was "stupid" about it? LOL!

Old 06-27-2014, 09:50 AM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by wraplock
does he also re-use condoms? You know.....just turn them inside out?
WOW! This thread went downhill fast! lol

Me personally, I would use new gaskets, o-rings etc where called for in the manual. Id hate to go through all that time and effort to only have to do it over again because of a gasket leak that might have taken less than 5 minutes to take off and install.

His bike was pretty spotless so I guess re-using the gaskets worked for him so far. More importantly I just hope he replaced the cam bearings when he was in there. We didnt discuss that. That could be awhole nother thread. lol

Quick Reply: New gaskets when opening up top end?