General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling your own bike what about a test ride?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 09:25 AM
dlrshort
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling your own bike what about a test ride?

Hey guys those of you who either sold your own bike to a private buyer or bought from a private seller, how was 'a test ride' handled? Do you tell the potential buyer you can't ride it, or do you check to see he is licensed and 'trust' him with your motorcycle? Thanks.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:31 AM
wraplock
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I bought my current ride it was from a guy I knew over 20 years who knew I've ridden for over 40 years. He was selling the bike for a friend. I asked for a test ride and he said after the money is in my hand you can ride it. If your happy we will do the paper work, if not and you didn't damage the bike I will hand your money back. Worked for me.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:41 AM
Tall Mike
Road Warrior
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Cash deposit, you determine how much needs to be put down..

I also put in my C-list add No Joy Rides !!

Old 06-27-2014, 10:01 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

When I sold my '75, the guy asked if he could ride it. I said no because if he crashed, I'd be out a bike. But I told him I'd take him anywhere he wanted to go. I did and he bought the bike.

If they can't understand the logic about letting just anyone ride your bike, I'd tell them to move on because it ain't gonna happen.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:02 AM
Muttleybass
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm all about the deposit. When I was buying, I brought $500 with me, but the guy let me ride it on a handshake. I guess I seemed honest enough.

When I was selling, I wan't going to let it happen without something down, but the kid didn't even test ride it. Gave me the money, we did the paper work and his buddy rode it away (because he still had his learners!)

Old 06-27-2014, 10:03 AM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Just sold one of my bikes. I told the potential buyer that no test rides would take place. However, I would sell him the bike - purchase price paid in full in cash - and if within 15 minutes, if he returned it to me in the same condition it left, I would refund his money. He accepted that, gave me the cash, and test rode the bike. He liked it and loaded it onto his truck.

I do it this way for a few reasons. One - if the bike crashes, disappears, etc., I've already been paid for it, it's his when he crashed. Second, I carry a lot of UM coverage. If I still own the bike when he test rides it, and he gets in an accident - his fault or not - MY UM coverage would have to pay, and my rate would go up.

Never had a problem with this method.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:09 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by warprints
Just sold one of my bikes. I told the potential buyer that no test rides would take place. However, I would sell him the bike - purchase price paid in full in cash - and if within 15 minutes, if he returned it to me in the same condition it left, I would refund his money. He accepted that, gave me the cash, and test rode the bike. He liked it and loaded it onto his truck.

I do it this way for a few reasons. One - if the bike crashes, disappears, etc., I've already been paid for it, it's his when he crashed. Second, I carry a lot of UM coverage. If I still own the bike when he test rides it, and he gets in an accident - his fault or not - MY UM coverage would have to pay, and my rate would go up.

Never had a problem with this method.
Something like this. Full cash deposit of the asking price. If someone is serious about purchasing, this shouldn't be an issue. If it is, I let them walk.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:44 AM
HyperM3
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I sold one of my bikes across the country without a test ride and when I sold my other bike, the buyer just wanted me to start it up to confirm it was in running order. No issues with never test riding.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:00 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

For me it is simple, wanna test ride my bike, give me the money first. The only exception to that rule is if I know the person and have ridden with him/her before.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:44 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Sold my ricer about 2 weeks ago. Buyer drove 60 miles to get to my house, so I knew he was serious. We agreed on a price that was contingent on a satisfactory test drive. He came with cash, gave me enough to cover our agreed price, and he took a short drive.
Came back, said "I'll take it", and we did the deal. Drove the bike home from there.

He was a very easy person to deal with- He came prepared to buy, made a very reasonable offer and didn't nitpick over every little thing. Very rare on a Craig's List sale, from my experience.

Quick Reply: Selling your own bike what about a test ride?