General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunderheaders poor chroming and lack of customer service...

Old 06-27-2014, 10:31 PM
Wizer86
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Thunderheaders poor chroming and lack of customer service...

Has anyone had any experiences similar to mine with Thunderheader. I recently purchased a chrome Thunderheader for my fxr. After literally 5 minutes of running the bike we noticed the chrome bubbling on the upper portion of pipe. When I contacted JP Cycle and emailed pictures they told me that they can't see bubbling and that discolouration is not covered by warranty because it is cause by poor bike tuning. When I explained that there was no discolouration and it was the chrome bubbling off they told me to buy heat shields and refused to warranty the pipes and would not acknowledge the bubbling in the pictures. I sort of accepted the bubbling as it was hard for you to notice unless you closely examined the pipes. About 2 weeks after this I got caught in a rain storm and the following day my pipes were covered in surface rust between the two pipes. So NOW I have a bubbling set of chrome pipes that require constant cleaning to keep from RUSTING. I have always loved Thunderheaders sound and performance. I am extremely disappointed in their chrome job and even more disappointed in JP Cycles lack of customer service to resolve this issue. Thunderheader has also locked their customers out of being able to talk to them on the phone unless you are a dealer.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:35 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I have seen in here too many of these problems with the TH. I know they make power, but have never been able to get over that they look like they're put together by an half blind, one armed apprentice welder on a drinking binge.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:46 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Your problem is nothing new for Thunderheader. They have never been known for quality construction. Rust and chrome issues are plentiful with them. I would bet that if you did some searches you will have no problem finding many people with the same issues you are having. Next time go with a Fatcat or some other 2-1 that is made well. There are many pipes that will give you performance as good as the t-header that are well made.