General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do A-2 flight jackets make for a good riding jacket?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 11:00 AM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Do A-2 flight jackets make for a good riding jacket?

I have always like the A-2 style flight jackets but wonder if they work well as a riding jacket? Because they are a loose fitting jacket do the sleeves want to flap in the wind? Does the knit cuffs let wind up the sleeves? If caught in rain do the cuffs and waist band get water logged?
Does anyone here actually use an A-2 as their riding jacket?

Old 06-28-2014, 12:04 PM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

No the knitted cuffs don't let air in and I haven't been caught in the rain with mine but I should think they may soak up water, and no the arms don't flap about in the wind, I generally wear mine in the winter with a sweat shirt underneath, if I'm not wearing my leather jacket, the original idea was to wear it in the summer but due to the cuffs it got to hot.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:13 PM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Sorry just checked I've got a MA-1 type flight jacket which is the nylon type not leather, same applies though as far as your questions go.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:26 PM
Falcon195
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any good riding jacket will have longer sleeves to fit properly with you hands on the bars.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:41 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

When I was in my late 20s and always short of cash I rode a Honda CB650 and a military bomber jacket. I was too poor and too cheap to blow $200-$300 on a real M/C jacket. I was constantly cold (Northern California) and this greatly decreased my enjoyment of riding. I wish I had known how danged comfortable it is to ride in a genuine made-for-cycling motorcycling jacket. I bought a HD jacket along with my bike and I absolutely appreciate the warmth, fit and comfort of this jacket. I say ride with an actual motorcycle jacket excepting maybe on very hot days such as riding through the desert in summer.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:22 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked up a used one around 1971 as my 1st motorcycle jacket. It had already been around for a while, probably WW2 surplus. I loved it & usually wore gauntlet gloves when the weather was wet or cold. When the lining & stitching in the armpits finally became irreparable, I turned it into my riding vest, & it's more valuable now than it ever was.

Notice how snaps have replaced the zipper, & rivets reinforce most stitching.
The pockets are the best part.
The answer to your question is "yes", but they are not as good a riding jacket as Fox Creek.

Last edited by hollowpoint; 06-28-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:32 PM
HaydenHeywoodHayes
Club Member
Received 102 Likes on 34 Posts

I have 2...one is a Navy style with fur collar and shearling lining I've worn for several years when it's cold in late Fall and Early Spring and an unlined A-2 that I wear in the cooler days of Spring and warmer days of Fall. I like them both and they serve the purpose...no complaints.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:44 PM
senzard
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have owned and used A-2 type jacket from 1992...Great jacket with knitted cuffs
can't go wrong nice warm jacket.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:45 PM
CWO4
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only wear my old flight jacket in cooler weather. Works well.

Attached Thumbnails Do A-2 flight jackets make for a good riding jacket?-marc-and-cassidy-2-.jpg  
Old 06-28-2014, 07:43 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

It'll work, but won't work as well as a jacket designed for riding.

A traditional collar just isn't good in the wind. Even if it snaps down, it's going to have a rise that might bug your neck a bit under the helmet.

A riding jacket will have longer sleeves for the bars, and the zipper cuffs will allow you to not only be warm, but get some air flow if you put them up. Plus, they keep the leather on your wrists in the event of a slide.

The pockets are external on an A2 if I'm not mistaken, and those will flap in the wind too.

If you have an A2 already and really like it, you might be inclined to use it on the bike. And again, it will work. But if you are trying to decide between buying one and a proper riding jacket, I'd go with a riding jacket.

A Schott Perfecto would do nicely if you're not worried about using armor. If you'd like an armored option, (another advantage of a jacket designed for riding) Vanson makes nice jackets.

Quick Reply: Do A-2 flight jackets make for a good riding jacket?