General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 FLHTC High speed wobble

Old 07-08-2014, 01:14 PM
Fozzy4325
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2009 FLHTC High speed wobble

All,

I have just had some work done on the front end of the bike. Now im getting a high speed front end wobble.

Work
Removed forks to be powdercoated
Changed Rotors for carbon
changed wheels to the new 2014 Enforcer wheels
Replaced the spacers to fit the 2014 wheels (New spacers are from Harley)
Added an amp to the stereo system

Issue. - KPH
0-80 - No Issue
80 - 100 I can feel a slight vibration in the front end
80 - 100 when making quick lef to right maneuvers it feels like the head and fairing moves before the wheel (As if the head stock and the fork bracers were loose.
100 - 120 kph feel a very slight wobble but if i quickly move the steering off centre and back to centre to make a flicking motion of the front end it send the bike into a slow wobble but not much
120 -140 If i hit a crack or uneven road then the bike will go into an increasing wobble
140 - 160 the bike while accelerating into this range will start to go into an uncontrollable wobble.

Once i get the speed down to 100 the 140+ wobble stops immediately.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Old 07-08-2014, 01:24 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

Does the front drop easily when you apply the front brake and push down on it? It may have to light weight oil in the forks....when I went to extra heavy SE oil on my 07 my wobble went away.....

Old 07-08-2014, 01:29 PM
Fozzy4325
Road Master

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Does the front drop easily when you apply the front brake and push down on it? It may have to light weight oil in the forks....when I went to extra heavy SE oil on my 07 my wobble went away.....
Great thanks, I will mark this down as something to look at when i go back in to builder who did the work of me.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:46 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Did you change your front tire? If so is there a groove that runs in the center of the tire that completely circles the tire? That type of tire is notorious for grabbing the road and causing wobble.

For example something like this...

Old 07-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Fozzy4325
Road Master

Originally Posted by zeus33
Did you change your front tire? If so is there a groove that runs in the center of the tire that completely circles the tire? That type of tire is notorious for grabbing the road and causing wobble.

For example something like this...
OK thats new to me but yea its the new dunlop tyre that are also from halrey. I will look into that. the new dunlops are like this.

Attached Thumbnails 2009 FLHTC High speed wobble-_mg_1814_zpscf8fad2c.jpg  

Last edited by Fozzy4325; 07-08-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:22 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

It does have that center groove, even though it doesn't run around the entire tire it might be enough to grab the road the wrong way.

When you hit grooves in the road that run parallel with your motion does the tire grab them and tend to follow the groove, throwing the bike out of balance? If so that indicates the tire tread pattern.

Probably when you feel the wobble you ought to be able to tilt the bike by pulling back on one handlebar and make the wobble stop. In other words, if you put the bike into a gentle lean does the wobble stop?

My bike came with Dunlop 402's. They were terrible for grabbing road cracks. I didn't have any wobble, but really didn't like the way they'd follow lines in the road. You can see all the vertical tread pattern on it...

Old 07-08-2014, 02:41 PM
Fozzy4325
Road Master

It does have that center groove, even though it doesn't run around the entire tire it might be enough to grab the road the wrong way.

When you hit grooves in the road that run parallel with your motion does the tire grab them and tend to follow the groove, throwing the bike out of balance? If so that indicates the tire tread pattern.

Probably when you feel the wobble you ought to be able to tilt the bike by pulling back on one handlebar and make the wobble stop. In other words, if you put the bike into a gentle lean does the wobble stop?

My bike came with Dunlop 402's. They were terrible for grabbing road cracks. I didn't have any wobble, but really didn't like the way they'd follow lines in the road. You can see all the vertical tread pattern on it...

So it was mainly when i was traveling down the highway and hit a groove. The grove doesnt start the wobble until i leave the groove.

If I pull back on the bar the wobble still continues. the only thing stat stops the wobble is to get the speed down to about 80-100

One thing I did notice was when i had my girl on the back i didn't get the wobble until I hit 160

Old 07-08-2014, 03:20 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Me and a buddy are going out tonight for a rip. If you want to hook up we can take a look at your scoot. He's pretty knowledgeable.

ps. I notice we're both in Calgary.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:24 AM
Fozzy4325
Road Master

Me and a buddy are going out tonight for a rip. If you want to hook up we can take a look at your scoot. He's pretty knowledgeable.

ps. I notice we're both in Calgary.
yea i spotted this a while ago. i took the bike back to precision so they are dealing with it.

i will hook up with you when its back

Old 07-09-2014, 10:28 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

So last night I ask my buddies what they thought.... They were saying... Tire balance. Fork legs not reacting the same maybe one is low on oil or is softer. Steering head is loose. Triple clamps. You might need a fork brace to keep the forks working together.

Just some thoughts. Precision will figure it out.

PM me when you're rolling again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 FLHTC High speed wobble