General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Before Cell Phones!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Louisianarider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Before Cell Phones!

This was a trip to Arkansas back in the nineties and I remember my wife calling checking on our kid once or twice through the week. Now our cell phones seem permantly attached to us. Neither good nor bad, just an observation of a more simplistic time.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:20 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Thanks for posting this. I miss those days! Much betters days in my opinion. When I die the first thing I'm looking for in the afterlife is 1973. Make that 1969. I'd like to see the Mets win their first WS again. lol

Old 07-08-2014, 08:28 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I must be getting old since there's finally a subject of the past I can remember! Just turned 30 in March and I can remember the days we had nothing but a house phone. If we were gone it didn't get answered...period. When we were gone their was no phone ringing and beeping every half hour with someone keeping tabs on what were doing. It was nice.

My wife forced me to buy a cell phone and ever since it has laid on kitchen table mostly. I won't carry it on the bike because I don't want to be bothered. Whatever is so important I will find out when I get home. I held up my end of the deal by buying it but I never said I would use it lol.

My grandma died in 1993 at age 93. She still didn't have electricity or a phone. Back in Missouri Ozarks you could still live that way and she did. If only she could see what life has become now she would croak again

Old 07-08-2014, 08:28 PM
uplandpinter
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

That's back when we had to carry a **** load of dimes.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:41 PM
Louisianarider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those days definitely had more freedom. Although I admit carrying my cell with me on trips, it is turned off until I stop for gas or remember to check my messages.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:07 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,461 Likes on 5,663 Posts

Amen!!!

I still remember our first color TV. IMHO, the perfect technology time period was the house phone and an answering machine. When you're not home, you are not home. Those weekend fishing trips were actually out of contact like being in another country.

It all started going downhill when pagers became affordable. Cell phones were next. Smart watches "are" next, then just a few more years until the "sheeple" opt for the chip in the head...

I'll bring a cell on a ride, but it's for breakdowns and/or emergency use only. Maybe a picture or two if something really looks cool.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:09 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,430 Likes on 5,918 Posts

Both the worst and best thing ever invented.

However, got lost on some back roads coming back from the 3 sisters a few weeks ago. Pulled out my smart phone, hit maps, and I was only 1/4 mile from a Farm to Market road that put me right back on track. Road was twisty as hell too, a fun ride.

So they ain't all bad...

Old 07-08-2014, 09:18 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

I've had a cell phone since 1986 and carried a pager before that....I can almost remember not having one, but not quite.

They are a drag sometimes, but they are a convenient drag....If I'm needing a map or info on something to do near wherever I happen to be, my smart phone can pretty much always get me the information....FAST!

Gotta love that!

Old 07-08-2014, 10:21 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in the car today with the wife and mine began to ring. She asked if I was going to answer it. I said nope, I am talking to you.

That thing is for my convenience, not someone elses.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:24 PM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by JekyllnHyde
Thanks for posting this. I miss those days! Much betters days in my opinion. When I die the first thing I'm looking for in the afterlife is 1973. Make that 1969. I'd like to see the Mets win their first WS again. lol
Best years ever for muscle cars too.

Quick Reply: Before Cell Phones!