General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade nightster for fxr

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 09:01 AM
Flipper1234
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade nightster for fxr

My local harley dealer has a 1990 fxr. It has 25k miles and original paint that looks great. It has some ugly marks on the rocker box that won't come off and if I were to get it I would have to change the bars, seat, and the exhaust (my preferance).

They are asking 7500 for the bike and said they would give me 7000 for my 09 nightster with 7400 miles. I would have to give them 670 dollars on too of the trade to cover tax tags and title.

Does this sound like a decent trade to you guys?

Old 07-11-2014, 09:06 AM
Da '04 RKC Kid
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The price on the FXR seems a bit high, but it's at the dealer, so that's to be expected. As for the trade, as always it's your personal preference.

If it were me, I'd work them on the numbers a little bit and then do the trade. But, I'm a huge mark for FXR's and have actively been looking for the right one to park next to the King.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:23 PM
Dyna_Syx
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See if the dealer will drop the FXR price to 7K and trade straight up. I would definitely do it.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:29 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

Without seeing pics or hearing it run, the FXR sounds just a bit overpriced. See if the dealer will sweeten the deal with something extra. You can't go wrong with the FXR. I wish I had mine back and am looking for another one just for old times sake.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:03 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

When I was trying to swap my 2006 XL1200L for an FXR, I would have jumped on the deal. After 5 months and still no takers on my swap offer, I sold the Sporty and bought my 93 FXRS for what I sold the Sportster for.

$7500 is a bit high on the FXR for Florida. I was searching all over the states for the just right FXR and found that the east coast, including FL, had some of the best prices on FXR's. I ended up getting mine in Indiana for $5500.

Just for the hell of it, you might tell the dealer something to the effect of: Look, we both know $7500.00 is high on that FXR. Even if I was to swap you straight across, you'd be getting the better end of the deal. But there's also value to me, to not have to hassle with selling my Sportster to buy an FXR. Because of that, I'd be willing to swap straight across, but that's as high as I'd be willing to go. Then walk away to let him think about it over the weekend if needed. That bike in FL might get $6000 to $6500 from a dealer, but that's about it. If that fails and you really want the bike, go ahead and pay the difference. It's still very little out of pocket to end up with an FXR.

The FXR really is a phenomenal bike. I just rode mine home from Indiana this past April and I'm blown away with what outstanding machines they are. It has a feel and stance very similar to the Sporty, but with much more room to stretch out. The Sporty feels very cramped in seating space when compared to the FXR. Depending on the model of FXR, they're only about 50lbs to 75lbs more than the Sporty and very quick & nimble. The stock suspension blows away the Sporty's spine jarring ride, it's unbelievably smooth riding and comfortable. The best I can tell so far is that the FXR and a 1200cc Sporty would be a very close race. Add a Cam, Ignition and Carb Jetting to the FXR and you'll smoke the 1200 Sporty.

I'm willing to bet any honest Sportster rider would love and prefer the FXR in every way, over the Sportster. I just can't imagine any Sportster owner having regrets in upgrading to an FXR. They're a perfect hot rod platform, or can be dressed into an outstanding touring bike ... or anything in between!

Good luck with your negotiations.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:20 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 842 Posts

If I was in your position, I'd jump on that offer in a heart beat.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:46 PM
JimmyDee
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Don't believe that you will ever regret the FXR. They are great handling bikes and always seem to draw curious lookers.

Attached Thumbnails Trade nightster for fxr-rs-thumper.jpg  
Old 07-11-2014, 04:57 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Halojumper
If I was in your position, I'd jump on that offer in a heart beat.
This. It is an iconic Motorcycle.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:12 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmarklin
This. It is an iconic Motorcycle.
Plus, it's not a Sportster!

Old 07-11-2014, 05:17 PM
FredAndrews
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyna_Syx
See if the dealer will drop the FXR price to 7K and trade straight up. I would definitely do it.
See if they will budge. If not, pay the 670 - short money for a swingin deal man!

Quick Reply: Trade nightster for fxr