General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blinded by chrome dash

Old 07-11-2014, 10:56 AM
HyperM3
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Blinded by chrome dash

I couldnt find any posts related to this when I did a search and Im surprised about that.

Anyway, what was HD thinking when they made the whole strip coming down the tank a mirror-like chrome?

I have been blinded several times when the sun beams down on it right into my face. I try to put my hand over it but theres only so much I can cover. This is making me think about plasti-dipping or painting this whole thing.

What do you do?

Old 07-11-2014, 11:08 AM
Black_Gold
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,441 Likes on 658 Posts

How about using window tint?

Still too whiney, I'd bet.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:08 AM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperM3
I couldnt find any posts related to this when I did a search and Im surprised about that.

Anyway, what was HD thinking when they made the whole strip coming down the tank a mirror-like chrome?

I have been blinded several times when the sun beams down on it right into my face. I try to put my hand over it but theres only so much I can cover. This is making me think about plasti-dipping or painting this whole thing.

What do you do?
Harley owners love chrome. It consumes massive amounts of time polishing and they think people admire it as they drive by on a sunny day when they roll it out into the drive way to show off.

Harley riders will black that crap out pretty early in the bikes lfe. No one gives two piles of dolphin poop what a bike looks like or sounds like when you roll by.

Its a safety issue. Black it out.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:12 AM
HyperM3
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty Bones
Harley owners love chrome. It consumes massive amounts of time polishing and they think people admire it as they drive by on a sunny day when they roll it out into the drive way to show off.

Harley riders will black that crap out pretty early in the bikes lfe. No one gives two piles of dolphin poop what a bike looks like or sounds like when you roll by.

Yeah, Ive pretty much blacked out as much as I could already on the bike. Guess Im going for all of it within reason.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:15 AM
Blowby
Road Captain
Received 167 Likes on 70 Posts

Plasti Dip. Pick any color or just spray with smoke to remove the sheen. Peel it off if you decide to change colors.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:17 AM
Klarick
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dusty Bones

I like chrome, I Own a Harley.

I RIDE a harley to work and back every day.

Oh man, Dusty, you just blew my mind ....

Old 07-11-2014, 11:27 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Harley and others make inserts for the console. Some selections are textured, or leather, various colors, and some graphical. They generally have a sticky back with a thin plastic sheet you peel to apply.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:32 AM
Sideways12
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Full face helmet with tinted shield

Old 07-11-2014, 11:32 AM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty bones
two piles of dolphin poop
lol!!

Old 07-11-2014, 11:33 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

The flat surfaces on my fork bolts blind me in the afternoon when I'm going east. I've thought about getting some flat black paint to stop it. My risers and bars do too but not like the forks. They're just like mirrors.

What do I do now? I usually lean one way or the other, so it's not shinning in my eyes. And my tinted shades do nothing to stop it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blinded by chrome dash