General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra to Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 05:39 AM
johnnyhumble
Tourer
Received 102 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Ultra to Dyna?

I have had this 2012 Ultra Limited since 2011 and it has been a great bike for sure.

Recently was offered a trade for a 2008 Superglide with a 110 motor. Bike has 4400 miles on it. My bike has 34K on it.

I owe 17.5 on my bike. This bike is 10 grand. If I do the deal, I would drop my payments 150 bucks a month.

My wife has starting riding with me a little more, but I really miss my smaller bikes with big motors (95" softail, 08 V-rod), the riding was better for me.

Anyone who knows me knows I am always changing, but I don't understand why that's viewed as bad. We change, grow, adapt.

The Ultra is the ultimate highway machine and I use it for work almost every day, but no matter what I do to it....it's still an Ultra.

Any advice?

Old 07-12-2014, 05:50 AM
Odin510
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Guess it really depends on how u ride most. Being a dyna owner, I'm partial to Dyna's! I like mine clean and stripped down. Maybe get throw over bags and a comfy pillion seat for the lady? It is YOUR bike! My 2¢

Old 07-12-2014, 05:54 AM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went from an Electra Glide Classic to a Dyna Convertible when they came out in '94. It was a nice bike....solo. it got a little tiresome riding two up.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:40 AM
Infinite_Day
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only you can make that decision. My FXDC is my first Harley - wanted a Street Glide but didn't want to put that kind of money out. I wouldn't go all the way up to an Ultra - just too big for me. As for every day riding I don't think you can do better than a Dyna. They handle great and have less weight to move around. Mine's a dream to ride compared to just about everything else I've owned to this point. It won't handle 2-up as well as an Ultra but if you adjust the suspension to handle it you'd probably be OK. Of course, my wife and I are a combined weight of about 255 lbs so probably not your average range there. Go with your gut.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:48 AM
wwiiavfan
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,082 Likes on 487 Posts

+1 on the 2-up Dyna thing. My wife is starting to ride along more, and don't get me wrong, it works fine, but if you like long rides, stick with the Ultra.

We were at the local dealer last week using up a gift card I got on clothes & stuff, and she wandered over to the new bikes. She had never seen an Ultra up close before, and she was in awe of the plush seat, radio, nav, etc. She's like, "I could fall asleep on the back of this thing!" I just nodded and agreed with her: "We should think about moving up"...
...My evil plan is working...heh, heh.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:06 PM
FredAndrews
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride 2 up on my SG and I when I'm doing it I think ULTRA. Brother Ronnie just bought one and I like it A LOT. We aren't fatties either ....but I couldn't imagine doing it on a Dyna. I say stick with the Ultra...

On the finance end of it....that's a different story. If you are in over your head...a change might be necessary.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:26 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,112 Likes on 11,090 Posts

I went from many years of riding RK's to a Super Glide.
I have a tourer when windshield and bags are on. I also have a city bike when I remove the bags and w/s. More room in the garage and easier maintenance and cleaning with the Dyna.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:49 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Me and my wife ride on my Dyna everywhere with no issues; she is a trooper.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:08 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I actually went from a 2010 Dyna Wide Glide to a 2010 Ultra Classic. I bought the WG right after the 2010's were released. I put 14' apes and a mustang seat on it and then rode it for 7,000 miles. I liked the bike pretty well until I took a 2,000 mile road trip. When I got back I decided to trade it for a new Ultra. First thing I discovered was the bike was to top heavy for me. I ride solo 100 percent of the time and I'm 5'7, 165 lbs. I installed 12 1/2 apes, C & C low profile solo seat, removed the tour pac, removed passenger floor boards, removed bag rails, removed bumper guards, replaced stock shield with 6' LRS. After making these changes the bike feels much better to me than it did in stock form. In hind sight I guess I probably should have considered a Heritage Classic or a Road King but I didn't test ride either. I now have almost 31,000 miles on my Ultra and it is a comfortable bike. I guess as others have mentioned any bike can be set up to go long distance. The question is what does a person really want and how much can they or are they willing to spend. I agree with renting bikes you are interested in before making a purchase to avoid making a costly mistake.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:18 AM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm shopping to go back to a Wide Glide from an Ultra. Same use and similar reasons.

In my case my wife no longer wants to ride, and I went to Ultra for her.

I like to ride lighter, and love to corner. And I love the style.

Quick Reply: Ultra to Dyna?