General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling fans

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 10:53 AM
arcook
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Had been toying with the idea of putting some cooling fans on my road king. Have had to shut down a few times and listen to it making tinging noises so I thought what the hell. Did my research. Good, bad and ugly about all of them.
I run amsoil 20/50 so it has decent oil while cooking. After a lot of reading I settled on Love Jugs. Just so we are all straight, I am in no way affiliated with this company so what I am saying is strictly from my own experience. I ordered them on-line and they arrived as promised in about 4 days. Just looking a them they appeared to be of high grade metal and were well chromed up, Install was easy, yank the seat, find the accessory plug and hook up. I got the horn mount so the horn has to come off and the rubber vibration washer. No biggee. The only thing I found was that I had to add another fender washer to move the wires out far enough away from the engine so they wouldn't fry. Again, no big deal. It was pouring the day I got them together so I decided to fire up in the garage and do a little test with a thermal sensing gun. Let her idle in the garage up to a rear cylinder temp of 202 just behind the spark plug. Turned on the jugs for 5 minutes and the temp was showing 174. Didn't want to sit there and listen to the exhaust in the garage to run the temp up higher, but I got the idea they worked (ya, the door was open) Did a road run the next day in stinking hot weather. Just before riding through town, turned on the jugs and could feel the hot air blowing through onto my right leg. I have also noticed when sitting in traffic or stop lights with them running there is a lot less shaking going on. The heat on your leg is not aggravating and is basically hair dyer like. They are only audible when the bike is shut off. The exhaust drowns them at out at idle. That's my 10 cents on the fans. They work as advertised. So far I'm happy.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-14-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:21 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Nice to know they work.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:58 PM
wingfoot
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Not an expert on these fans but I am a Wards Parts Werks believer. Yesterday it was 98 and on a two lane highway in the hills of Arkansas my head temps (Power Vision readings) was 305 at speeds of 75 to 80. After turning on my fans the temps dropped to 255 and maintained that temp.

I thought I would only use these fans when in slow stop & go traffic but after seeing these results I will run them most of this summer!!

Last edited by wingfoot; 07-14-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:02 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

Originally Posted by arcook
Had been toying with the idea of putting some cooling fans on my road king. Have had to shut down a few times and listen to it making tinging noises so I thought what the hell. Did my research. Good, bad and ugly about all of them.
I run amsoil 20/50 so it has decent oil while cooking. After a lot of reading I settled on Love Jugs. Just so we are all straight, I am in no way affiliated with this company so what I am saying is strictly from my own experience. I ordered them on-line and they arrived as promised in about 4 days. Just looking a them they appeared to be of high grade metal and were well chromed up, Install was easy, yank the seat, find the accessory plug and hook up. I got the horn mount so the horn has to come off and the rubber vibration washer. No biggee. The only thing I found was that I had to add another fender washer to move the wires out far enough away from the engine so they wouldn't fry. Again, no big deal. It was pouring the day I got them together so I decided to fire up in the garage and do a little test with a thermal sensing gun. Let her idle in the garage up to a rear cylinder temp of 202 just behind the spark plug. Turned on the jugs for 5 minutes and the temp was showing 174. Didn't want to sit there and listen to the exhaust in the garage to run the temp up higher, but I got the idea they worked (ya, the door was open) Did a road run the next day in stinking hot weather. Just before riding through town, turned on the jugs and could feel the hot air blowing through onto my right leg. I have also noticed when sitting in traffic or stop lights with them running there is a lot less shaking going on. The heat on your leg is not aggravating and is basically hair dyer like. They are only audible when the bike is shut off. The exhaust drowns them at out at idle. That's my 10 cents on the fans. They work as advertised. So far I'm happy.
got any pic's of these?

Old 07-14-2014, 01:06 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

I have the Harley parade fan. MOunted where the horn used to live. Had to move that to hte front. I have it wired to the aux switch. If I feel I have sitting idle for a while, I switch it on and let the cooling begin. It does warm the right leg a bit though.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:10 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Two hours putting down the beaches at 30 mph, my head temp 237*f . Wards FCS, Power Vision.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:30 PM
arcook
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default love jugs fans

You can go to the love jugs site on google and there are lots of pics on various bikes. I have not shot any pics of my RK yet with them on. They look good. To the person who commented about leaving the fans on. That was the advice I got from the owner at Hammerhead Engineering ie:Love Jugs. Turn them on when the engine is cooler just before coming of highway and leave them on until you hit the highway speed again. It's a personal choice. Wards, the Harley parade fan and whatever else is out there. I liked these because they were chromed up and the owner actually called me shortly after I ordered them to clarify a point. You don't get that too often these days. It makes sense that a fan is better than none on a air cooled engine when not generating any air speed over the fins. Run a top quality synthetic and these and hope she hangs together longer.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:19 PM
petdoc94
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been thinking about getting a fan for my SG... I like the ones you have Smokey..What kind are those?

Old 07-14-2014, 05:27 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

Boy, if there was a way to direct the hot air at you during the winter months, that would be sweet.,,

Old 07-14-2014, 05:35 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,263 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by petdoc94
I have been thinking about getting a fan for my SG... I like the ones you have Smokey..What kind are those?

Those are the Wards Parts Werks FCS.
http://www.wardspartswerks.com/cooling-fans.html

Here's a pic of my FCS installation.

hope this helps,

T.

Quick Reply: Cooling fans