General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of getting my first Harley

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 09:07 PM
Aaron's hog
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of getting my first Harley

I'm thinking of picking up a 05 wide glide it close to 40k miles on it which is high for the area I live in the pacific north west. My first concern would be the high mileage on the bike. I Personally think that it could be a good thing means the bike has been ridin an taken care of as opposed to a low mileage bike that hasn't had any services and someone bought an stored any opinions. My second concern is that I live where it rains a lot how will the bike handle in the rain with the thinner front tire and third how will the bike handle with me an my beautiful bride to be on it. I come from riding crotch rockets for years and having a metric cruiser currently any thoughts and opinions would be great thanks

Old 07-14-2014, 09:28 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

double posted, again.

Ask the seller to let you take it for a test ride.
I wouldn't even buy a pair of shoes without trying them out.
It's kind of like choosing your beautiful bride to be.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-14-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:33 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I have a 2002 wide glide. First thing.....I don't like it in the rain. It's not that I've had trouble but that skinny front tire makes me really nervous on wet roads. I've been in some heavy rain on it with no trouble but if I had to brake somewhat hard I fear the front will wash out.

Dry road....WG is a blast. Stable, smooth, handles well, and a ton of fun.

With the bride....I added a wide touring mustang seat and sissy bar to mine and my wife and I fit perfectly on it. Plenty of room between us and once it's rolling doesn't seem to mind the extra weight. We borrowed a friends heritage softail and she prefers the WG over it. The WG is a handful at slow speed with a passenger probably because of the rake. Get above 15mph no problem. This all my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

40,000 miles.....hard to speculate on that without looking. I notice in my area that's when harleys go up for sale is around 40k.

Last edited by JohnnyRebKY; 07-14-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:35 PM
ColoFXDC
Tourer

Take a compression test or a leak down test on the motor. If it's with in spec and it doesn't sound like a blender full of marbles when it runs, and doesn't smoke.. You'll probably be ok. The "action" of the clutch will tell you a lot on how the bike was ridden.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:38 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Great intro...

Old 07-14-2014, 09:57 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Riding in the rain sucks, thin or wide tires.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:15 PM
Sideways12
Intermediate

Coming from a sport bike you might want a dyna with a mid/narrow glide front end. I think they handle better. If you like the bike don't be scared of the miles, check the condition of the oil and try to get a feel for how it's been maintained.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:22 PM
Aaron's hog
Stage IV

Thank for all the input! I have test rode several wide glides while on my search some where not so good, this one runs an ride amazing sounds good has a mustang seat already on it along with several other tasteful mods. I will be purchasing a 3 year extended warranty with the bike all tho the miles still kinda sketch me out. The bike is coming from a Harley dealer so I do have that confidence the bike has been thru the ringer and checked out.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:27 PM
ciso
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sideways12
Coming from a sport bike you might want a dyna with a mid/narrow glide front end. I think they handle better. If you like the bike don't be scared of the miles, check the condition of the oil and try to get a feel for how it's been maintained.
Having come from a sport bike background I would have to agree that the Dyna is the way to go. First couple of rides with my wife, she was all happy, nice and slow and deliberate. Last ride she complained a little that I was starting to ride the dyna like a sport bike. Does not have the power you may be used to nor the handling but you may be surprise with how well it does on the twisties. Must be acceptable as I have a 1k trip planned mid august up the Oregon coast with a bunch of my old riding buddies that all ride sport bikes, but they did tell me I had to ride at the back of the pack in case anything fell off.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:33 PM
Aaron's hog
Stage IV

I sure hope it handles better. I rode sport bikes for years then got a big metric cruiser and it handles like ****

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting my first Harley