General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 05:04 AM
LudemJo
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Rain

OK, so my lovely wife and I are going to the RoadRunner Magazine Touring Weekend at Snowshoe, WV this weekend. We will be leaving Leesburg, VA on Thursday, and riding in the Snowshoe area on Friday and Saturday, returning home on Sunday. Unfortunately, it looks like we have a good chance of rain each day. I have ridden in rain many times in my life, so that is not an issue. I am more concerned about our comfort. We have good rainsuits, and I have waterproofed our boots several times. I am more concerned about our hands and leaks around the neck, cuffs, etc.

Anybody have any quick and easy tips to give us greater comfort while riding 4 - 6 hours in the rain?

Thanks a million!

John

Old 07-15-2014, 07:26 AM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

not plasant riding in the rain

Old 07-15-2014, 07:31 AM
Big Boz
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Get good waterproof gloves that cover past where the sleeves of your rain suit ends. If your rain suit is "good", the collar should zip up completely and cover up your whole neck. Make sure your rain pants have a good way to stay down completely and have elastic cuffs. If the ends of your pants keep getting wet, water will keep creeping up.

Last year on a trip, we rode 8 hours in the rain. I wear a 1/2 helmet with shield, and the only thing to get wet was from my chin to my ears.

Even with temps in the 70's, if it is going to be raining, I will wear my thick leather under the rain suit. Wet and warm isn't so bad, but wet and cold really sucks.

Last edited by Big Boz; 07-15-2014 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:54 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Although I have yet to try it in heavy, constant rain for hours, I made the decision to leave my leather at home on trips & bought a textile jacket that is waterproof. I have a good rainsuit & it keeps me dry - but wearing it over top my leather, dragging it on & off, etc. is a real pain. I still carry my rainsuit pants, & I have some rain "booties" that go overtop my boots to keep them from getting soaked. But if I'm going on a trip, my leather jacket & my rainsuit jacket stay at home, & I wear and/or carry the single textile jacket.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:22 AM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go with the attitude that you will enjoy this trip come rain or shine and I guarantee that you will have some lasting memories "remember that year we rode in the rain for 3 days straight?"

Old 07-15-2014, 08:25 AM
agove
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just rode 750 miles yesterday through nc, sc, va, wv, and oh. I got caught in some nasty rain storms in every state. All I had was a leather jacket, full fave helmet, gore tex pants and non water proof boots and some soaking wet gloves. The only discomfort I got was from swimming in my boot and even that wasn't too bad

Old 07-15-2014, 08:28 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a rain suit and wear my regular riding gloves. If you're looking to stay 100% dry while riding 5 hours in the rain, IMO, it's not gonna' happen. For me, the only thing that would kind of bother me is 5 hours of wet boots, but it sounds like you have that covered. Sounds like a fun trip so I say, just go, have a good ride, and dry out later!

Old 07-15-2014, 08:30 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Wear waterproof gloves with cuffs, when you put them on, they cover the cuffs on your jacket, seals nicely. If your jacket has a hood, wear it and the put on your helmet. I also have a silk bandana that I wrap around my neck to seal out drafts and rain.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:09 AM
LudemJo
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the tips. They are greatly appreciated! I am very much looking forward to the trip, rain or shine. It will definitely be a memory maker either way, and I hope it is enjoyable enough for me to make it an annual event.

I will post something when I get back.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:14 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

While I'll avoid riding in the rain, meaning I won't ride if it is or if the chance is high, if I get caught in it, I just deal with it and keep on going.

Quick Reply: Rain