General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Needing Some Advice From The HD Community

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 01:51 PM
BigCheese12
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needing Some Advice From The HD Community

I'm looking at purchasing my first bike and I've loved Harleys since I was pretty young so figured that I would finally get one. Currently I'm looking at a couple used bikes that are fairly inexpensive and just want to get current Harley owners advise and knowledge on the two models that I'm looking at. I'm 5'8 but I'm a heavy set guy at about 210lbs if that would have any affect on which bike to go for.

The bikes are the following:

1998 Dyna Super Glide. Very few mods, basically just different pipes. The bike was rebuilt a couple years back before it was sold to the guy looking to sell now. The bike hasn't been ridden very much in the last couple years but stored in a heated garage.

2003 Sportster XL 883R. Bike looks nice and has a couple mods including: Burly slammer kit
speedometer relocation bracket (sits next to fork now)
Biltwell 12" bars

Most of my riding will be done around the city and suburbs, but there will definately be some highway riding and plenty of rides up up an open but winding mountain road which is about a 3-4 hour drive each way.

The 1998 Dyna is asking $6000 while the 2003 Sportster is asking $6500.

Any advise? Tips? What to ask or look for while checking these bikes out?

Thanks and I look forward to hearing what you all have to say.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:38 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dyna. Great all around bike. But I'm a big twin guy. Never been a huge sportster fan, although they are growing on me a little...

Old 07-15-2014, 04:41 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I'd get the Dyna but only because I've never been a Sportster fan. And that's the only reason. But then, I'm not a fan of the name, "Dyna". It reminds me of Dinah Shore.

Anyway, the bigger bike for me. But it's your choice. Test ride them both, if you can and see which one fits you the best.

I'd get the Dyna but only because I've never been a Sportster fan. And that's the only reason. But then, I'm not a fan of the name, "Dyna". It reminds me of Dinah Shore.

Anyway, the bigger bike for me. But it's your choice. Test ride them both, if you can and see which one fits you the best.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:27 PM
BigCheese12
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to both you guys. I'm kind of leaning the way of the Dyna myself. Test rides will be necessary though as truthfully I haven't ridden a Harley before and therefore don't really have an opinion of what I prefer at this point other than going off looks and stats on the bikes.

Are there any major problems that come about with having a bike as old as a 1998 Dyna? That's one concern I have as the bike has been mainly stored, only ridden here and there for the last couple years. Of course I'll have it checked out before finalizing a sale but if there are some main things I should identify when test riding that would be good to know.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:40 PM
Bulldog10
Tourer

Ive had both. Currently have a softail. Dyna was good but prefer hardmount of softail. Sportster was just too small for me at 6'2". Good luck!!!

Old 07-15-2014, 05:50 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Do Your Homework!

NEITHER!

Maybe it's me but those prices are ridiculously high! That Dyna shouldn't be $5000 in pristine condition, and that Sportster shouldn't even be $4000 in pristine condition. Prices don't sound right!!

For your $6000 you should be able to score a 2005/ 2004 Dyna THAT HAS NOT BEEN REBUILT and that is in decent condition.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:52 PM
wkdayridr
Cruiser

Welcome to Canada. Prices are ridiculous here....

Old 07-15-2014, 05:55 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

I love my Dyna. Detachable accessories makes it a great all around scoot. My only concern with the Dyna you're looking at is that its been rebuilt. Without knowing who did the work, I would be wary.

As for the Sporty - $6500 is way too much, at least here in the states. Canada must run higher. For that money you may find a nice 2004+ 1200C with a rubber mounted engine (2007 added fuel injection). You'll fit a Sporty just fine. A good bike to learn on.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:55 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

I love my Dyna. Detachable accessories makes it a great all around scoot. My only concern with the Dyna you're looking at is that its been rebuilt. Without knowing who did the work, I would be wary.

As for the Sporty - $6500 is way too much, at least here in the states. Canada must run higher. For that money you may find a nice 2004+ 1200C with a rubber mounted engine (2007 added fuel injection). You'll fit a Sporty just fine. A good bike to learn on.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:01 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

OH - Canaduh!

Quick Reply: Needing Some Advice From The HD Community