General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crossing the border

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Jello-Sky
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossing the border

So, the wife and I have pretty much figured out which bikes will be our first Harleys. We're buying used, so we can both enjoy riding (the reason we're doing this in the first place) and the budget is a little too slim for 2 new HD.

Hands down, Canada SUCKS for used bikes. We just don't have the population or the inventory...

So, We've been checking out Tampa Harley Group; who, strangely enough, ship all over the world.

Has anyone ever bought a bike or vehicle from another country and tried to bring it back home?

All I'm seeing in my head is dishing out 25 large to a dealership and then having 2 bikes sit @ customs cuz I owe another 5 grand in taxes and "administration"

No duty though... yay NAFTA? lol

Old 07-16-2014, 01:08 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Believe Canada has their own regulations regarding importing used bikes into their country.

Might need Speedo changed to KPH, noise restrictions. emissions testing, import/customs duties, lighting changes etc.

Believe the Provincial Harley franchise holder does what it can to protect their market.

Believe Canada has their own regulations regarding importing used bikes into their country.

Might need Speedo changed to KPH, noise restrictions. emissions testing, import/customs duties, lighting changes etc.

Believe the Provincial Harley franchise holder does what it can to protect their market.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-16-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:03 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

There's a hell of an echo in here!

Old 07-16-2014, 02:11 PM
alhd
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's easy peasy.

Go to the RIV website (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) and it will explain the process. Basically ensure the bike meets Canadian Transport Canada specifications (speedo, emissions etc) You may have to find a stock pipe that will meet the decibel requirement. You will pay GST on the purchase but no duty. Drag it to a Canadian Tire for the inspection ($179) and your done. Slap a plate on and go riding.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:19 PM
Jello-Sky
Novice

Thanks!

Helps a ton actually.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:57 PM
canuuk01
Advanced

I picked up a 2012 Road King out of Arizona in June. This is the second ride I've purchased in the U.S. in 5 years, and the rules/regulations on importing are still pretty much the same. You/I/Canadians cannot buy new in the U.S. The U.S. border agency requires minimum 72 hours notice by way of their export form which you would fill in and send to the US border agency crossing where you would be crossing back to Canada. This enables them to check on the bike (VIN #, history, etc) before you cross back. They will require a visual at the border and to match your paperwork with what you sent them 3 days earlier. It's easy to contact them through email, and they sent me the form which I filled out, scanned and sent back to them. On the Canadian side, you will have to declare your import and go inside to fill out a "form 1". It's a long 1 page form which you will get a copy when you pay the GST & RIV inspection fee on the motorcycle. You will get a copy of the form (stamped by the Cdn border agency) and making an appointment with Canadian Tire, they will do a one minute inspection. On completion, and their sign-off, you can register and insure it in Canada. Eventually, RIV will send you a sticker required to be added to the bike to prove inspection and any future issue's when selling the american model bike. As the other poster mentioned, you can get the info on the import process at the RIV (registar import vehicles) Canadian site. There are also links to US border agencies to inquire on necessary forms ahead of time. Also, I have found that if buying from a U.S. dealership, some of them know the process and can help with filling out the form and sending to the US border crossing ahead of time. One thing I have found though .... ensure the U.S. border agency gets your form at least 72 hours ahead of your crossing time back to Canada. And, if you try to go back to Canada without stopping at the U.S. side, they will send you back. If you have it shipped to your Canadian address without using a customs broker, you may be forced to take it back over the border, wait the 3 days, then go through the process.