General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Half helmet debate

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 12:05 PM
V-Twin
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Half helmet debate

I currently have a HD Half helmet which I'm comfortable with but I have that "Mushroom head" that biker's talk about. I've searched for a replacement and have come across 2 half helmets I like. One is a Skid Lid Half Flat Black Street Rod Helmet Model U-69. The other is a Harley- Davidson Reaper Skull Hybird Ultra Light Model # 97225-14VM. The Harley helmet is considerably more than the Skid Lid. But does the Harley offer any more protection?

Old 07-19-2014, 12:52 PM
TracerBullet
Supporter
Received 5,193 Likes on 2,824 Posts

Have you looked at the Akoury 88 for a replacement?
I can't comment on the ones that you mentioned but the above is DOT and small.
There is a huge thread on here regarding it

Last edited by TracerBullet; 07-19-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:15 PM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I haven't owned the Harley half helmet, but I had a skid lid and it is the same mushroom head as all the others on the market, with the exception of the Akoury AK88. It's hands down the best fitting, most comfortable DOT helmet I've owned, and it's nice and light. I don't use a windshield, and I get zero wind lift.

The Skid Lid's are attractive based upon the price, but don't expect it to not give you the mushroom look. Every Harley helmet I've looked at is frickin' huge, heavy, and expensive.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:02 PM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

Another vote for the AK 88

Old 07-19-2014, 02:33 PM
V-Twin
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Never heard of these guys before your reviews, I'm going back and forth about whether to drop the coin on a somewhat unknown helmet from a company out of Canada. Are you guys telling me that you would take the AK88 over the HD half? Not much on Akoury on the internet and so far I only found 2 dealers selling the AK88. I spoke to a guy at Blackbeard's Bikes who said these only came out about a year ago...Any additional info on the AK88 would be appreciated (dealers..price..styles..etc)

Last edited by V-Twin; 07-19-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:34 PM
jetfixer62
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the AK88. Very comfy, feels like a quality helmet, like the ratchet strap, fair price (even though the shipping is a little high coming from Canada)

Old 07-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Montressor
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 in favor of AK88! So light and perfect fitting (even for my giant noodle). You're gonna look like Gazoo to some degree with any DOT helmet. This will be the lowest possible profile you'll find. Another option is the NOV-DOT from Lick's although the fit is slightly smaller than the AK88

Old 07-19-2014, 03:06 PM
Flinter
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

LOL I had a white full face when I first got back into riding. The guys at work called me Gazoo. I have a rather large head.

Currently I am using this one;

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...ler-1-2-helmet

No more mushroom head.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:14 PM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by V-Twin
Never heard of these guys before your reviews, I'm going back and forth about whether to drop the coin on a somewhat unknown helmet from a company out of Canada. Are you guys telling me that you would take the AK88 over the HD half? Not much on Akoury on the internet and so far I only found 2 dealers selling the AK88. I spoke to a guy at Blackbeard's Bikes who said these only came out about a year ago...Any additional info on the AK88 would be appreciated (dealers..price..styles..etc)
Yes I would take the Akoury over any of the overpriced mushroom helmets with an HD logo on it. I've ordered two of them directly from Akoury, both times the helmet was on my doorstep in 4 days.

I can't do all your internet searching for you, but they have 2 models, the AK88 and the AK1. Both come in gloss or matte black. Take your pick, or buy something else that floats your boat.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:26 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

best thing to do is move to a state where the have no helmet laws!

Quick Reply: Half helmet debate