General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter grind noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 01:15 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Starter grind noise

Question as to what might be going on with my starter or clutch basket assm. When starting my 2010 Ultra, I have been getting this grinding sound. The engine will turn over as it hit the button but as it turns over, I can hear a skip/grinding going and then engine begins turning over again. To me I picture the starter gear or the ring gear it turns as having some teeth stripped or stripping off.

The ring gear that the starter turns, is it on the clutch basket or what part? This has been a infrequent occurrence but has been becoming more frequent.

Anyone else ever have this happen and what did you find. I'm sort of glad it's becoming more frequent as it will be easier for me to let the dealer hear it also. Just hoping it doesn't give out totally right now as I'm on a 4 or 5 day trip. Thanks for any tech info you can give me.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:34 PM
SJ58
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The engine could be trying to turn over while the starter is still engaged which is just basically over revving the starter motor. Makes kind of a zinging noise best description I can think of.
My 09 Heritage will do that occasionally if the engine doesn't light off on the first compression stroke.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:30 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,474 Likes on 2,476 Posts

Try tightening your battery cables, & if that doesn't work, bring your battery into an auto parts store for a free battery check. Weak battery or loose cables is the #1 reason for starter kickback issues.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:44 PM
Joesim1212
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
Try tightening your battery cables, & if that doesn't work, bring your battery into an auto parts store for a free battery check. Weak battery or loose cables is the #1 reason for starter kickback issues.
I would like to take a second and say thank you to Dickey. You are a helpful individual my man. I appreciate your responses on this forum. Very knowledgeable dude. Thank you

Old 07-20-2014, 05:47 PM
rpking
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

it's the compensator, yep they cause all the stupid starter related noises in Harleys ask anyone they will tell you the same

Old 07-20-2014, 06:20 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,740 Likes on 6,191 Posts

Starter clutch may be on the way out. Another week or two, and that's all it will do. Pull the starter, and replace that part of it.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:50 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

It's the compensator sprocket, that's the noise they make when they go out. It snaps back when you try to start it. It's a very common problem.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:56 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Starter clutch may be on the way out. Another week or two, and that's all it will do. Pull the starter, and replace that part of it.
What I suspect too...........

OP keep us posted please I'm curious now.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:08 PM
Puggy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is doing the same thing. I know its the battery as its getting weak and needs replaced.

And, when it happened to be before a few years ago, I was also needing a new battery then, it was very weak. I replaced the compensator right before getting a new battery and it still did the same thing. I inspected the starter teeth and the flywheel and it all looked great. Nothing missing. Installed new battery and it quit.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:00 PM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"
Received 1,980 Likes on 755 Posts

Another thing might be the bolt that holds tension on the starter gear could have backed out a bit if the washer tab got loose. Not likely, but I've seen it happen.

Quick Reply: Starter grind noise