General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honest Opinions Needed!! Wind Buffeting SOLVED! :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 06:37 PM
Far2hip
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honest Opinions Needed!! Wind Buffeting SOLVED! :)

Hello people! I have been stalking this forum for awhile and lately quite a bit in search of suggestions on how you all have dealt with the machine gun wind buffeting of the helmet behind the windshield. I have recently purchased a 2001 CVO FXDWG2 "Switchblade" and with the clip on windshield the wind buffeting my helmet was unbearable. Really bad. No cutting down or changing helped so I went to task at finding a simple solution (besides selling the bike!).

Well, I have come up with a unique solution that almost completely kills it!!! But, it is not something you put on your bike rather, it's something you wear similar to a knee guard because that is where I found that 90% of the air was coming from. I am not selling these things yet because I want to get more feedback. I made a run of prototypes and the guys using them all completely love them. Even the guys that said they wouldn't wear them now swear by them. Funny. So the question I am looking for answers and opinions on is this:

Looking at the picture below, if having these on truly solved the issue of wind buffeting your head to the point it made you almost want to sell your bike and get another model (which I have recently found out that this is not as uncommon as you may think), are these something you would wear?

I discovered this solution and it worked so well that I quickly filed for a patent on the design and purpose and filed a trademark application for a name for them. So far the only slight drawback has been a few that are adamant about just dealing with the helmet rattling wind blasting, and I don't know about you but it totally ruins the ride for me. A few other benefits have popped up by a few people trying the prototypes I made from heavy black leather like a guy on a Street Glide saying he never realized how much air movement actually was behind his faring until he tried these because now there was almost nothing. A Harley mechanic I talked into trying them on with his Road King that said he wouldn't wear them quickly changed his mind and got all analytical on me, lol. He said not only did they completely change the wind dynamics behind the windshield but when he put his hand down to see where the air was going from these that he felt it going right towards the rear cylinder. For him it was a huge plus. But the big thing is the complete reduction of the hard hitting helmet buffeting as well as the total change in the air dynamics behind the windshield.

So, before I go spending a bunch of time and money making these things I come here to get some honest opinions because Harley guys don't hold anything back. I went far enough to do the patent application for the design and purpose to protect the idea, trademarked a name, and bought a sweet sewing machine for leather to make up my prototypes. But I would really love to know that if they solved the problem that for some is a REALLY BIG problem, are they to too weird or with solving the problem would you wear them. When I say they work, I even had a guy on an Ultra tell me that when he got up on the highway he could have lit a Bic light back there, lol. Not meant for an Ultra but he wants some if I start production. They really work. Simple looking but a serious pain in the *** to make right.

I think I may just go ahead and jump in and if I start making and selling these things you can bet your *** you will see me as a sponsor of this forum!!! If there are any admin people reading this, can you please send me a message on how to do that? Not selling anything yet but I would like to be ready when I do.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!!!

Attached Thumbnails Honest Opinions Needed!! Wind Buffeting SOLVED! :)-image.jpg  
Old 07-21-2014, 06:40 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

Got any free samples?

Old 07-21-2014, 06:43 PM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 398 Likes on 124 Posts

Glad you found something that works, but I don't think I would wear something like that no matter how much the buffeting bothered me. Good luck though. I may be in the minority.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:44 PM
Far2hip
Intermediate

LOL!! I wish!! These things take me a few hours to make but I am blown away at how well they work. I just need to know if they are too funky for guys to wear, ya know? A mechanic even told me they would actually HELP cool the engines rear cylinder because they send it right into it. Pretty "cool", lol......

Old 07-21-2014, 06:47 PM
Far2hip
Intermediate

Gatorlaw, I really appreciate that. And that is why I ask. Everyone that tries them are pretty shocked. I think it will be made to order to start but I need to see how many would give them a try if I did go and do a big run.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:50 PM
Far2hip
Intermediate

And I don't get offended very easy. My simple theory is if you don't want to hear any negative answers...........you better be a very hot naked woman if your asking, LMAO!! Actually, if you don't want to hear a negative answer, don't ask for an honest answer.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:52 PM
KW HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 855 Likes on 428 Posts

Looks like they could be tough on the paint. Thinking out of the box for sure. Plus I have enough crap to put on already.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:59 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Sorry, but "Mad Max" era's long gone...not my cup-o-tea.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:01 PM
dhking
Novice

I like your creativity but I would not use them for two reasons. The fork fangs work for me and my knees often hug the tank and it might damage the paint.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:10 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

Sry not for me.

Quick Reply: Honest Opinions Needed!! Wind Buffeting SOLVED! :)