General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you tell a family member......

Old 07-25-2014, 02:37 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default How do you tell a family member......

..... that they really shouldn't be riding???

My brother (biological) is about to purchase a Harley. It'll be the first bike he's ridden since the mid 80's. He is 67 years old, and is bull headed as any person I know. He is also uneducated about Harleys as they are now days. In 2011 when I bought my RK, he asked me why I didn't get one with the old FLH seat from the 70s? You know, the old white seat with the rail around the back of it? He did so, not out of nostalgia, but simply thought they still made those for the bikes. He doesn't use the internet, and probably hadn't stepped into a dealership until very recently, since the 80's. He also was never a really good rider.

One case in point is; He told me he was probably going to buy a 2014 Sportster 48. Yet when describing it to me, it was obvious to me that it wasn't a 48. He mentioned things about standard height bars, and a larger tank than the peanut. He also stated he was going to get a full size windshield put on it. (I'm not even sure one would fit on a 48). I mentioned that he should get a new Sportster Tour bike that already has the larger tank, shield, and bags. (That's when the argument started about the size of the tank on the 48).

So you see my problem. He thinks he knows everything, when he really doesn't have a clue. And I know he will not take kindly to helpful riding tips even though I've ridden thousands of miles more than he has. I want to support him, but also don't want to be present, riding with him, when he goes down. And I'm afraid he will go down. He's too stubborn to take a riders course, and just plain doesn't have the knowledge to avoid bad situations on the road.

How would you handle this?

Old 07-25-2014, 02:41 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You might inform that he needs a motorcycle endorsement on his driver's license to test ride a new bike. This might encourage him to take a rider's course.

. . . and just a suggestion, don't offer to loan him your RK to take the endorsement test.��

Last edited by mmcbeat; 07-25-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:46 PM
Willymon
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Similar note. I have a younger brother that bought a Kawasaki crotch rocket back in the 80's. He had a hard time on a mini-bike. My Dad had Harleys all his life and cornered him. He said "you are getting rid of that flipping bike!" You didn't argue with Dad..hehe.

He'll be required to take a riding test to get his license right? Unless he takes the riding course he will have to. This should put a lid on it, if it is the way you describe.

Good luck, Man.

Last edited by IzzoQuazzo; 07-26-2014 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Profanity removed
Old 07-25-2014, 02:49 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

If he is really that stubborn, and is already starting fights with you over the issue,
I would just let him go ahead and learn on his own.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:51 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

Since he's your brother tell him straight up to stop being such a dumbass and to listen to you. Tell him you're just trying to help him. Hell, if it were my brother, I'd even take the MSF course with him even though it would be my 4th time.

Plus, i'd say 'listen dude this is what a 48 looks like'. Let me help you.

I'd do anything for my brother and I'd find a way to have him listen to me. I'm also 8 years older so maybe it's different. But my brother knows when I tell him something it's not bullshit. I know when he tells me something it's not bullshit. So we listen to each other.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:51 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Let him do what he is going to do. My brother is 60 and rides a Ducati 1098 for "
"fun" and CBR1000 as is Az to Summer house in Montana bike and back "tourer"

Would not consider a Cruiser "Calls em Disco bikes). He has gone down a few times but it does not deter him. He loves showing me his worn knee pucks. He knows I think he is crazy......He thinks I am boring. We are both right,

Old 07-25-2014, 02:56 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Actually, when Oklahoma went to the current classification of licenses, all you had to do on your first one was tell them that you ride a bike and the "M" endorsement was added to the new license after signing a piece of paper. Keeping it on is automatic at each renewel. I know, this is what I did. I think he might have also, so I don't think he's going to have to test.

He is just plain stubborn. If he thinks he's right, nothing you say can change his mind. But I really don't want to see him hurt. But if he gets it, and we go riding together, I will keep him in front of me the whole time. The old days of riding side by side with him are long gone.

Originally Posted by baka1969
Since he's your brother tell him straight up to stop being such a dumbass and to listen to you. Tell him you're just trying to help him. Hell, if it were my brother, I'd even take the MSF course with him even though it would be my 4th time.

Plus, i'd say 'listen dude this is what a 48 looks like'. Let me help you.

I'd do anything for my brother and I'd find a way to have him listen to me. I'm also 8 years older so maybe it's different. But my brother knows when I tell him something it's not bullshit. I know when he tells me something it's not bullshit. So we listen to each other.

That's part of the problem. He's 11 years older than I am. So obviously, I can't know anything. LOL

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-25-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:02 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Actually, when Oklahoma went to the current classification of licenses, all you had to do on your first one was tell them that you ride a bike and the "M" endorsement was added to the new license after signing a piece of paper. Keeping it on is automatic at each renewel. I know, this is what I did. I think he might have also, so I don't think he's going to have to test.

He is just plain stubborn. If he thinks he's right, nothing you say can change his mind. But I really don't want to see him hurt. But if he gets it, and we go riding together, I will keep him in front of me the whole time. The old days of riding side by side with him are long gone.
You belive you are right as well and he is not qualified. StaleMate.

People cannot protect people from themselves. The Government does it all the time in many states. doesn't work. Let him decide his own fate. If my brother kills himself, I can be somewhat calmed with the knowledge he went out doing what he loved and living on his own terms and not mine.

How many of us have relatives that think we should not be riding a motorcycle because it is statistically a lot more dangerous than a car mile per mile?

Old 07-25-2014, 03:15 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

I suppose you are right. Just frustrating to know that if he doesn't change his attitude and start to listen and learn, he is going to get hurt. Maybe I can convince him to stay off the main streets until he gets used to it. It'll be a start.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:21 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
I suppose you are right. Just frustrating to know that if he doesn't change his attitude and start to listen and learn, he is going to get hurt. Maybe I can convince him to stay off the main streets until he gets used to it. It'll be a start.
A few close calls will be a far better learning experience than someone dictating to use what is "safe" I have learned more from my own pucker moments than anyone's accidents. He is a full grown adult who is capable of making his own choices whether or not you agree with them.

I don't want to learn from riders who have had a few "get offs" I want to learn from riders like me who have ridden 35 years + without an incident.

Last edited by TenMidgets; 07-25-2014 at 03:23 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you tell a family member......