General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why fuel mileage so low in modern bikes

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 08:18 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Why fuel mileage so low in modern bikes

Let me clarify. I've been considering a upgrade in the next 3 years or so to a touring type bike. Dads friend stops by today and we talked about fuel mileage. Says he gets mid 30s on his electraglide. Also I was looking at the new Indian Chief motorcycles and see they get 33-35mpg highway. You know that's really bad when I have a ford fusion car that can get 34mpg loaded down with luggage and 4 people on a trip to pensacola Florida. 195hp 4 cylinder engine pulling a mid size sedan loaded down. So why is it that a 800 pound motorcycle which is light compared to a car not get better than that?? I seriously don't get it and it's a legit question in interested in hearing a explanation on. My 2002 wide glide is getting a consistent 45-47mpg so maybe I won't be upgrading if I can't travel on a bigger bike any cheaper than driving a 4 door car. With these fancy fuel injections I just don't understand why a light vehicle with a much higher power to weight ratio can't do better than that in 2014.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:26 PM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyRebKY
Let me clarify. I've been considering a upgrade in the next 3 years or so to a touring type bike. Dads friend stops by today and we talked about fuel mileage. Says he gets mid 30s on his electraglide. Also I was looking at the new Indian Chief motorcycles and see they get 33-35mpg highway. You know that's really bad when I have a ford fusion car that can get 34mpg loaded down with luggage and 4 people on a trip to pensacola Florida. 195hp 4 cylinder engine pulling a mid size sedan loaded down. So why is it that a 800 pound motorcycle which is light compared to a car not get better than that?? I seriously don't get it and it's a legit question in interested in hearing a explanation on. My 2002 wide glide is getting a consistent 45-47mpg so maybe I won't be upgrading if I can't travel on a bigger bike any cheaper than driving a 4 door car. With these fancy fuel injections I just don't understand why a light vehicle with a much higher power to weight ratio can't do better than that in 2014.

my SG avg 40-45 most my trip to Cali last year and even seen 50mpg at one fill...at home 40 is most tanks but I ride fast and hard on throttle...

Old 07-25-2014, 08:28 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I get maybe 40 MPG But I bought the bike to enjoy it and not worry about MPG. There are a whole lot of motorcycles one can buy for 50 MPH + Harley is not one of them

Old 07-25-2014, 08:36 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
I get maybe 40 MPG But I bought the bike to enjoy it and not worry about MPG. There are a whole lot of motorcycles one can buy for 50 MPH + Harley is not one of them
You've gone through 3 Harleys in the last 6 months, one was brand new... your opinion is invalid.

OP, has a lot to do with the power to weight ratio of these bikes, or their aerodynamics. An EG is not exactly the most aerodynamic motorcycle on the road. Another thing you have to consider is how big most of the engines are to begin with, and the compression ratio of them; they're going to suck gas.

With that being said, my old evo gets anywhere from 35-45 depending on how I ride.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:46 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master

Maybe it's the indian that shocked me. No I don't suppose it matters in general. But still....my ford has a much larger engine and pulls what, triple the weight? Yet it gets the same mileage as a 800 pound bike. Just seems it should easily do better than it does

Old 07-25-2014, 08:47 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I probably average 45mpg and I'm happy with that. I just wish I had a 7.5 gal tank.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:53 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

My road king is getting around 47 mpg on the open road.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:02 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,916 Likes on 17,473 Posts

If your really that worried about fuel mileage may I suggest a Prius

Old 07-25-2014, 09:11 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
If your really that worried about fuel mileage may I suggest a Prius
I never mentioned being worried. I was asking for a reason or explanation as to WHY. To think someone wouldn't throw in a sarcastic comment was just to much to expect. Questions are necessary when educating yourself about things from people who are supposed to be knowledgable. Since you had nothing useful to add why even bother?

Old 07-25-2014, 09:22 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all of the engine efficiency improvements get canceled by the ever increasing displacement. since 2001 the stock dyna engine has grown from 80 ci to 103 ci.

my fatbob has more displacement per cylinder than my silverado 2500.
people opt for richer maps than the epa friendly map. aero dynamics of motorcycles ( particularly big tourers) hasnt changed much in 20 years.

but you can go out and buy a ninja 300 and get 80+ mpg. the honda 700's with dct are reporting high 60's.

Last edited by slozomby; 07-25-2014 at 09:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Why fuel mileage so low in modern bikes