General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes I am riding there......

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 03:26 PM
Nugget Shooter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes I am riding there......

So I have been asked many times if I plan to ride my Harley to Sturgis and back and the answer is simply YES! Sturgis once at the rally is really not much different than any other biker rally except bigger, same vendors, same taco stands, same half naked folks, same outlandish outfits, and lots of people swaggering around playing pirate.

Likely those you meet that tell you they didn't think Sturgis was that great went there with their bike on a trailer and never have tasted the true essence of the experience.

What is is about for me is the ride there and back, meeting folks along the way, and seeing brothers at Sturgis I rarely see anymore due to living so many miles apart. Then there is the area itself with some of the most scenic riding country on this planet. I also will see some folks I have met at Sturgis in years past and I only ever see them at this place.

So as I roar past tired, rained on, and dirty from the road while you sit in you Hemi pulling your fancy custom bikes on a trailer don't think I am anything but happy.

I have a spirit that can not be tamed even after 58 years and the fire to taste my kind of freedom still burns white hot in me and drives me to make these trips. Me and myself will be discussing some things and making some plans for the upcoming cooler weather and gold prospecting season while realizing yet one more adventure.

There you have my answer as to why I am riding my bike to Sturgis instead of joining the hoards of weekend pirates with all their cool stuff packed on a trailer. I have nothing against what they do and do not care, but it is too bad they will likely never know the "Ride to Sturgis"

7 days....

Oh and I bet $10.00 I'll get a little flak for this post, but not razzing anyone and not being a badass, just get a kick out of how surprised folks are that I am riding several thousand miles including my side trips, perhaps cause I am an old fart

Old 07-28-2014, 03:35 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love it. Great post. I rode to Myrtle beach bike week for years but to me, them events are old hack now. Same thing every year and I have started to look for other things to do. Im just not the one to do them every year. I am sure I will go again but it will be a few years or so.

Yesterday we had 60% chance of rain. Upper 80s to lower 90s, on a sunday. 120 miles of riding and I seen zero bikes on the road, not a single one. The storms I did hit only lasted 3-6 miles and I was dry by the time I hit the next one. Best got dam days to ride is 20% or better chance of rain. In the past 10-15 years there seems to have been a surge of weekend warriors who are in shear terror if they go any faster than 45mph. Its dangerous for them, and more dangerous for me getting caught behind them on a busy two lane.

I would be happy to see many trailered bikes, it keeps them pansies off the road too afraid to ride.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:36 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

On the Heritage or FXS? If the Heritage....poser! j/k

It's no the destination....it's the journey.

Have fun...nevermind, I know you will.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:39 PM
Pagan48
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 07-28-2014, 03:42 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Rode to Strugis couple years ago from San Diego with some buddies. While Strugis was a hoot, some of my best memories were from spending time on the road with some good friends.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:11 PM
Nugget Shooter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_Dude
On the Heritage or FXS? If the Heritage....poser! j/k

It's no the destination....it's the journey.

Have fun...nevermind, I know you will.

I be a posin baby.... The FX has made the trip though and all my trips to Sturgis have been on Shovels except one and I rode a 1965 Pan (first ele start HD) So I am taking my Twinkie this trip as it is nicer to me *** and back.

Last trip was with the wife (RIP) and it has been about 20 years for me...

Here we are at Rushmore in 93

Old 07-28-2014, 04:25 PM
proraptor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a great story, I really need to get out and ride longer distance.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:25 PM
1goindiesel
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Amen Shooter, see you on the road sometime I hope.
Never understood the trailer crowd but its cool because it is their time and their money and none of my business anyway.

Trailers are great....for broken bikes.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:42 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,619 Likes on 2,094 Posts

I did it, I'm here now and you're late.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:49 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,415 Likes on 5,916 Posts

Cool pics of you and the wife..

I ride everywhere I go. I've done the 1,500 miles in 2 days thing. I like to stretch stuff out a bit more now at 51.

I don't look down on the trailer folk. Lots of reasons. My bud has had 5 back surgeries. He simply can't be in the saddle that long anymore. Lots of folks want to take their wives, but their women have no desire to be on the back of a bike in the heat.

If one is young and able, but still trailers, more power to em, but they indeed are missing out. Getting caught in a hail storm or bad thunderstorm, extreme heat, ect, all adds to the adventure, and gives us stuff to talk about down the road....

Quick Reply: Yes I am riding there......