General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HDForums tackles Tiered Licensing.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 11:06 AM
William C
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HDForums tackles Tiered Licensing.

Tell us what you think.

https://www.hdforums.com/articles/tiered-licensing/

Old 07-31-2014, 11:13 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by William C
It would seem the author of the article has a bias against tiered licensing since he quoted an obscure 1989 study against it but ignored the many, and more recent studies that seem to suggest it works. A lot has changed since 1989. It is now used in the UK and Europe, both of which have seen a lowering in motorcycle fatality rates, especially when compared to the US. Ontario now has a licensing system that is sort of tiered with a one year probationary period as well. While there are restrictions on infractions - basically you can't get any in your first year as a probationary rider, and you can't carry a passenger as a probationary rider, there are no HP restrictions though. Not sure about the other Canadian provinces. The UK system uses HP rather than cc restrictions. Most bike manufacturers make devices to restrict the HP of their bikes during the probationary period. Road side spot inspections and punishments for removing these (loss of driving privileges) provide an incentive not to remove these.

Last edited by fat_tony; 07-31-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:19 AM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would make more sense to base it on rear wheel horsepower than on cc's. I would believe that the 600cc crotch rocket would be a far more dangerous beginner bike than a Sportster.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:43 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is just another attempt to inflate the bureaucracy.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:50 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 562 Likes on 313 Posts

I have skipped reading the article. But I do have an opinion. Just like an oil thread. No one person has the right answer or the wrong answer.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:56 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 562 Likes on 313 Posts

Ive now read the article. I believe this system would also work with cars. If you test in a KIA, you should only drive a 4cyl manual tranny and nothing bigger. Why not go for broke, if you marry a 100lb women, you should not be allowed to sleep with women over 150lbs. Government........................where will it end?

Old 07-31-2014, 12:19 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
Ive now read the article. I believe this system would also work with cars. If you test in a KIA, you should only drive a 4cyl manual tranny and nothing bigger. Why not go for broke, if you marry a 100lb women, you should not be allowed to sleep with women over 150lbs. Government........................where will it end?
Even HP isn't a good reading. You could test in a 350hp truck, jump in a 350hp RWD car and and not have the experience to control it. Given, cars are more forgiving to the driver, it still stands. A 70hp HD is not going to be as quick/twitchy/whatever as a 70hp sportbike, like a Katana or whatever.

But without tiered licensing, or even licensing requirements at all, you have people getting permits and riding 600cc race reps.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:04 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,368 Likes on 2,375 Posts

If the law is applied to all vehicles, then I might support it. For example, you currently drive a compact car and you want to purchase a 2500 series pickup then you get tested and licensed on that vehicle, oh you bought the truck to tow a boat? Well then you get tested and licensed while pulling that boat. Now you purchase a 30 foot RV trailer? Guess what new license time. Why stop at motorcycles? Most people can't even park a damn Prius between the lines. Horse power ratings is pretty good idea also, but don't single out (discriminate) motorcycles.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:28 PM
Cattle-Dog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are my papers sir. I think you'll see that I am properly qualified to ride this particular bike on the people's highway. Thank you sir. You have a nice day comrade.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:17 PM
Dyna_Syx
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
If the law is applied to all vehicles, then I might support it. For example, you currently drive a compact car and you want to purchase a 2500 series pickup then you get tested and licensed on that vehicle, oh you bought the truck to tow a boat? Well then you get tested and licensed while pulling that boat. Now you purchase a 30 foot RV trailer? Guess what new license time. Why stop at motorcycles? Most people can't even park a damn Prius between the lines. Horse power ratings is pretty good idea also, but don't single out (discriminate) motorcycles.
Agreed. Let them try this crap with all vehicles and see how far the idea goes.

Going by CCs is stupid, as is going by HP rating. The only thing that would make sense would be power to weight ratio ratings.

The other thing to consider is that this would give LEO's reason to arbitrarily pull over anyone on a larger bike simply to check their license, opening the door for DOT helmet checks and more.

Quick Reply: HDForums tackles Tiered Licensing.