General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost Fell Out Of My Chair!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 06:38 PM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Almost Fell Out Of My Chair!

I was listening to the local news this afternoon and heard..."Harley Davidson issues a recall". I almost fainted. In case you have not heard, the recall is for a faulty Samsug ignition switch in some of the 2014 sport bikes. Likely the only thing that scared them into this was the GM ignition switch debacle, but I do recall an ignition switch recall on the dressers back in the mid-to-late 90's. Otherwise....recalls are few and far between if at all. They have bikes on the road now that ought to be recalled for mechanical and life-threatening issues.

No...not a basher. I've been on a Harley for almost 30-years and it's the only make I'll own.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:53 PM
Afrobaron
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is great news but last I heard Harley wasn't making sport bikes.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:00 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

- Harley-Davidson Inc is recalling more than 3,000 motorcycles to fix an ignition switch issue that can cause the bikes to stall and crash, the U.S. National Highway Transportation Safety Administration said on Friday.

The U.S. motorcycle maker informed NHTSA that excessive engine vibrations could trigger the issue, which it said affects 3,361 of its 2014 FXDL Dyna Low Rider motorcycles.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:00 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Hell, I thought you were talking about an earthquake.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:02 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 0734
They have bikes on the road now that ought to be recalled for mechanical and life-threatening issues.
Such as???

Old 08-01-2014, 10:24 PM
wwiiavfan
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,079 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by 0734
I was listening to the local news this afternoon and heard..."Harley Davidson issues a recall". I almost fainted. In case you have not heard, the recall is for a faulty Samsug ignition switch in some of the 2014 sport bikes. Likely the only thing that scared them into this was the GM ignition switch debacle, but I do recall an ignition switch recall on the dressers back in the mid-to-late 90's. Otherwise....recalls are few and far between if at all. They have bikes on the road now that ought to be recalled for mechanical and life-threatening issues.

No...not a basher. I've been on a Harley for almost 30-years and it's the only make I'll own.

Congratulations, you had the exact reaction the news media was looking for.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:34 PM
Steve635
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Congratulations, you had the exact reaction the news media was looking for."

Wow, sounds like Dale from "King of the Hill" (That's what they want you to think!).

Old 08-02-2014, 12:33 AM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

low riders are sport bikes?

Old 08-02-2014, 07:33 AM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep....showing my age I suppose. Anything that doesn't have FL as the first two characters in the model designation is a sport-bike to us old timers and bagger riders.

Earthquake? Anytime you hear about Harley recalling anything is about as rare as an earthquake.

As to post #5. All you have to do is cruise this forum and you'll find a few things riders whine about that deserved/deserves a recall and it goes back to 99. If you never experienced all the BS and failures concerning the rear cam bearing debacle....you should have been there to appreciate it. Bikes are still showing up at dealers with the old ball rear cam bearings failing and are now out of warranty. That should have been a total recall situation and a no-charge fix without a 5-year expiration on the extended warranty. The tensioner issue alone should have made the recall list, or at the least an offering of a free routine inspection at 15,000 mile intervals. They recommended the routine inspection, but want the owner to pay for it. Then there are the numerous failures with the sealed wheel bearings both front and rear. If you're lucky....you'll catch that before it ruins a wheel at best, or kills you at worse.

Granted.....the vast majority of the bikes ride on forever without issues, but there are enough that don't and the numbers are of sufficient quantity that if these were automobiles....they'd be recalled.

Last edited by 0734; 08-02-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:53 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

I wonder if the ignition switch is made by the same supplier Chevy uses.

Quick Reply: Almost Fell Out Of My Chair!