General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'81 model FLR?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 09:10 PM
splicer
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default '81 model FLR?

I got a girl says she has an '81 model flr for sale. I asked her if it wasn't an flh and she said it was a flr.......first model for the 5 speed tranny. Bikes in pretty rough shape and the clutch is gone. 88 cube I believe. It's got a fairing and hard bags(rough also). The reason for this post is I would like to pick this up for a project bike. The overall bike looks like it's been rode hard and put away wet. Can anyone give me a price on something like this to start negotiations with her. I want to buy it right so I don't get burned. Is there anything that I should be watching for. On this bike I'm totally lost on what to look for or what to offer. any help or thoughts would be appreciated. Does anybody have any history for a bike like this?

Old 08-01-2014, 09:33 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Of course you are right, there is no such bike as an '81 FLR. If its a Shovel and its a rubber mount, its probably an 82-84, though there was an 81 FLT and FLTC, but they are pretty darn rare. They were the original FUGLY. Fixed fairing, and hard bags or windshield and hard bags.. I'm pretty sure they were based on Eric Buells FXR frame, and done up bagger style. All shovels, regardless of model in the 1980's were 80 cubic inches. All you need to do is see the title to know what year it is. Then go from there. You say its rough. What does that mean. Running nice, $4500-$6500. Beat to crap, full of rust but all there and a good title $2500. If your looking to restore it, and its a rubber mount five speed Shovel, parts are super hard to find. And the people with them won't give them away cheap. And this I absolutely guarantee..... When you are finished with it, you will not get anywhere close to the money you dumped into it. A four speed shovel is a different animal. They are far more desirable and much easier to sell. Five speed rubber mounts have a very narrow following. So don't even consider it if fixing it up to make a buck is the plan.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 08-01-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:35 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,832 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Think she means FLT, they had those in 81. If it has the big dual headlight frame mount sharknose fairing it's the FLT. Motor was 80" on those stock not 88". unless it's cheap cheap I'd avoid it , they were a pig.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:48 AM
splicer
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yep......it's the dual light sharknose model. 58,xxx miles, not a lot of rust but looks like it's been maintained poorly....to say the least. Thanks for the insight guys...........after your advise, I'll have to pass unless I can pick it up for a song. Sure glad I posted before I did something I'd probably have regreted. Guess I'll just keep upgrading my 103. Thanks again for the help and knowledge. Rick