General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rant: Sturgis cagers

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 01:02 AM
SVTslowbra
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took my first trip to Sturgis this weekend, only to be a few miles away and have a van switch lanes right in front of our pack and hit the brakes to make a left turn. I took the ditch, hit a culvert and am lucky to be breathing. I escaped with a concussion, a few stitches, road rash and sprained wrists. My 2014 SG is in 4000 pieces and totalled along with another bike that was riding with us. All in all though, I had a good time. Not sure if I'll ever return though.

Oh ya, and the best part is the only witnesses that stuck around was my group and the guy in the van who lied and said he'd been in the left lane for miles. Nobody in a neutral position was there so the police officer didn't write any tickets and called it a no fault accident. SMH

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-04-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:17 AM
Mike_M
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SVTslowbra
Oh ya, and the best part is the only witnesses that stuck around was my group and the guy in the van who lied and said he'd been in the left lane for miles. Nobody in a neutral position was there so the police officer didn't write any tickets and called it a no fault accident. SMH
One of the reasons that I'm considering a go-pro style camera for rides. You might be able to argue with a witness, but video provides proof.

Glad you escaped (relatively) unscathed. Bikes can be replaced: Considering a 2014, hopefully insurance will cover the whole repair/replace.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:23 AM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,204 Likes on 3,171 Posts

Wow. That was quick. Glad you're, uhh, OK.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:18 AM
Hero
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks! Guess cagers are cagers nomatter where you go. Glad you're ok and hope to see you back on a new horse soon as those wounds heal up.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:06 AM
Bocefus
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another reason I want a dash cam setup.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:51 AM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Sorry to hear about the incident.

It's not just the 'cagers' everyone needs to worry about while in Sturgis, however. When you are out there riding in the area you will see more than a few riders doing things like crossing center lines, passing solid lines, etc. Things are only worse after riders are getting loaded up in the bars and making their way back to the campgrounds. Most of the rally-related accident stories you will read about in the news are bike-on-bike or single bike accidents.

I know everyone points fingers at cagers, and many deserve it, but when you go out there you are going to see a lot of worse stuff from riders. A lot of people out there ride like it's their first week on a bike. Add alcohol and twisty roads into the mix and the best thing to do is grow eyes in the back of your head.

The first one is already in:

http://rapidcityjournal.com/sturgisr...f21a92c05.html

The collision between three motorcycles on state Highway 34 caused a life-threatening injury to one Oklahoma rider, put three other people in the hospital and left another biker with drunken driving charges.

A biker involved in an accident on Highway 34 east of Sturgis has been charged with DUI and vehicular battery in a head-on crash that put several people in the hospital with serious injuries, including one who was sent immediately to surgery.

Darter, officials said, was riding a 2013 Victory motorcycle westbound on Highway 34 when he crossed the center line and collided head-on with Grogan's eastbound 2014 Hawk motorcycle.

Last edited by MiniWolf; 08-04-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:08 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,778 Likes on 18,556 Posts

Sturgis is a "Sensory Overload Area" ... You are responsible for your own safety and well being. Glad you're okay. Sucks to lose the scooter.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:12 AM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are other bike riders that shouldn't be riding bikes that are worse than any "cager" I have ever seen.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:22 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,112 Likes on 11,090 Posts

Expect the unexpecteded and have a plan when it occurs.
If I was a "few miles" from Sturgis, hyper vigilance, situational awareness, slow speeds and defensive attitudes would be at 110%. The closer you get to a venue like Sturgis, the more dangerous it becomes.

Last edited by upflying; 08-04-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:28 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Some people can't/won't ride 1,000 miles. I know I couldn't. To me, it's not how you get there, as long as you get there.

Quick Reply: Rant: Sturgis cagers