General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New... I mean USED parts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 08:00 PM
jerry98b
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy New... I mean USED parts?

I ordered some rear fender support covers from Harley Davidson and purchased them over the phone and had them shipped to me. I did this because my local dealer didn't have them in stock and was unable to order them from the DC.

The dealer I ordered them from was nice and friendly, only charged $15 for shipping and it took just a day to get here, but...

... I could tell that the box had been opened. No big deal, some one probably wanted to see them or maybe they wanted to check them before shipping, right? I looked closer and found bolt imprints around the holes and also a nick on one; clearly they have been installed/removed from a bike before.

I paid full price plus shipping and was never told they were used or anything other than perfect mint condition.

Has anyone had something like this happen before? I guess I will just have them installed and hope that the previous install marks line up and are not noticeable after install on my bike.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:29 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,186 Likes on 2,454 Posts

i would let the selling dealer know. it's possible that they were installed/removed/returned and the dealer wasn't aware and put them back on the shelf.

maybe they'll hook you up with a discount

Old 08-05-2014, 08:32 PM
Silvio
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you contacted the seller?

That's the first thing I would do.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:42 PM
jerry98b
Road Warrior

Yeah, I sent them an email because they were already closed. If I don't hear back by tomorrow afternoon, I'll give them a call. I want to at least let them know it happened if nothing more.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:51 PM
Unbalanced Bob
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I'd be a bit miffed at paying new prices for used parts. Please let us know what the dealer has to say.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:58 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

You paid for new parts, and you should not accept anything less - I would go to the dealer, be nice, explain what occurred and see what they offer you. Don't wait too long, I'd go tomorrow - if you don't get your results, I would contact your CC company and dispute the charge

Old 08-05-2014, 09:00 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
i would let the selling dealer know. it's possible that they were installed/removed/returned and the dealer wasn't aware and put them back on the shelf.

maybe they'll hook you up with a discount
Exactly!! There is such a markup on parts they otta take care of you....
But next time...Check here and see if one of the members can help you with a part...

Old 08-05-2014, 09:09 PM
jerry98b
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Unbalanced Bob
I think I'd be a bit miffed at paying new prices for used parts. Please let us know what the dealer has to say.
I'll keep you guys posted.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:16 PM
donr101395
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

That is actually how I found this forum back in 08;I bought some powdercoated bars from HD dealership and when they go here it looked like they had been dragged around the parking lot and then boxed up. They told me to pound sand until I made a big enough stink about it and pretty much made the manager's life hell for a week. It wasn't the money, it was the FU attitude. The bars were $50ish I spent more than that getting my money back on principle.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:17 PM
kirbyblue
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JMC22
You paid for new parts, and you should not accept anything less - I would go to the dealer, be nice, explain what occurred and see what they offer you. Don't wait too long, I'd go tomorrow - if you don't get your results, I would contact your CC company and dispute the charge

Did you even read what he said or did you just read blah blah blah open imprint bolt nick one??

Quick Reply: New... I mean USED parts?