General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 01:14 AM
cian
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which bike?

Hey just wanted some feedback, I am looking to get a different bike. I currently have a 98 1200C, and I am looking for something a little bigger but not sure which one yet. I like Roadkings, and Street Glides, but I also like how the Dyna's handle so I have been looking at the Switchback. I know get out and ride them all but I wanted some feedback from every one that has one of the bikes I listed.

Thanks in advance
Cian

Old 08-06-2014, 02:25 AM
HMCS(FMF)
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Can't go wrong with the SG (most popular model being sold) but I think the best way is to take a few test rides and figure it out for yourself; best way to be completely happy with your decision making process. That way, you'll know how each handles for sure & you get the bike that fits you and your riding skills the best and meets your needs. Some don't like the batwing and suggest it's like riding with a piece of plywood in front of you. I don't have that feeling though. That said, I have a friend who won't ride anything other than a RK. Everyone is different.

Doc

Old 08-06-2014, 02:54 AM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Take it from somone who bought three Harleys in four months. RENT the one's you are interested in for a day. LOL

Old 08-06-2014, 07:21 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
Take it from somone who bought three Harleys in four months. RENT the one's you are interested in for a day. LOL
Exactly. You can ask all day for opinions and get all kinds of different answers. In the end, it's your opinion and your decision. Test ride and/or rent the ones you like. Period.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:39 AM
JeepsandHD
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are taking a test ride, make sure you are at a dealer that actually lets you take a good ride. I was taking a SG out, first dealer limited me too 3-4 miles. I thought I liked the bike. Second dealer sent me on my way saying see you back in 1/2 hr to 1 hr. To my surprise, I didn't like it. After several more test rides, I'm sticking with the Dyna family and switching from a 00 low rider to fat bob.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:40 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

Test ride! Test ride! Test ride!

Old 08-06-2014, 10:52 AM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 398 Likes on 124 Posts

Gotta go with the majority, rent, ride, test and think again. When I got my first Harley I jumped in and got a Switchback. Great bike, good power, lots of options (can be stripped like a dyna or fitted like a king (bagger) or with an aftermarket fairing and top case, outfitted like a full dresser. However, at 6'3" I could never get comfortable, changed multiple seats, bars, floorboard extensions and still felt too close to the tank. Had I rode the bike for more than the 15 mile test and had I not been so excited about getting a new harley I could have saved $$$. For me, the dyna was a little small. The sporty was really small (the wife had a 1200 custom). Liked the road glide and street glide but I do more local and back roads than long distance so the road king wound up being the best balance of the two. Recently sold that because I really wanted a dual sport/adventure bike. I will miss the King and wish I could have kept it and added the other but it didnt work in the budget. The most important person to ask which bike, is your heart, your a$$ and your wallet. Otherwise you might buy a bike that everyone raves about only to find it was not right for you. That is why there are so many different models, to suit different tastes. Again, best advise is to rent so you can get a couple of hundred miles to evaluate. Good luck!

Old 08-06-2014, 06:11 PM
cian
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies, Now to go rent 3 or 4 different ones......

Old 08-06-2014, 06:22 PM
Bocefus
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my Low Rider

Old 08-06-2014, 11:06 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

Others are right. You need to test ride the bikes you're considering.

The Street Glide is nice, but if you prefer a lighter better handling bike, go with a Switchback. The Switchback is also less expensive.