General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super bad gas mileage while on Sturgis Trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Grand-Dragon
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Super bad gas mileage while on Sturgis Trip

I have a 2013 Road Glide with 103 and engine mods. I have experienced an average of 240 on my rides with riding fast, and really working the bike. I rarely
Go less than 80 on the freeways and love cracking the throttle. Anyway, as I ride through Utah, Wyoming and South Dakota my fuel mileage dropped to 160 tank!

I can't believe how bad the gas is. I'm figuring they use a lot of ethanol, water and whatever else they have laying around to dump in the tanks. 85 octane ? That's poor quality fuel and I'm sure lawn mowers don't even recommend that octane. The super premium is 91 octane and the mid was 87, sometimes 89.

Did anyone else suffer a substantial loss of mileage? I feel bad for the guys who don't have a gauge and rely on mileage to decide when to fill up.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:40 PM
ryan06
Tourer

Received 135 Likes on 70 Posts

Could it have been windy conditions? That can be huge.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:49 PM
Jimmykoz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Socal has a higher elavtion which requires less fuel. While South Dakotah has a lower overall elavation. higher the elavation less octane youll need, lower elavation requires more. Doesnt explain the bad gas mileage through Utah, and Wyoming. Then again obviously climbing to higher eleavtion will require more fuel. Just a thought.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:56 PM
Huskers
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmykoz
Well Socal has a higher elavtion which requires less fuel. While South Dakotah has a lower overall elavation. higher the elavation less octane youll need, lower elavation requires more. Doesnt explain the bad gas mileage through Utah, and Wyoming. Then again obviously climbing to higher eleavtion will require more fuel. Just a thought.
Living 20 miles from Sturgis and have lived in LA, I can say without a doubt the elevation in South Dakota is most certainly not lower than SoCal. That being said, I get mid 40's in town and mid 50's on the highway with the crappy South Dakota gas.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:18 PM
NCTRLR
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in sd too while I dont get 50s I do ave mid 40s. My guess is the extra hills and the wind in Wyoming, never had a trip in Wyoming where the wind didn't blow at least 20mph head on.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:50 PM
ASmith
Stage IV

just got back from 800miles trip to Ohio from Illinois and back.. 03 ultra.. 75-80 mph most of time.. only got 33-34 mpg.. two up fully loaded with clothes.. stuff used hitest all the time.. so all yours seem pretty good to me.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:41 AM
Jimmykoz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Huskers
Living 20 miles from Sturgis and have lived in LA, I can say without a doubt the elevation in South Dakota is most certainly not lower than SoCal. That being said, I get mid 40's in town and mid 50's on the highway with the crappy South Dakota gas.
Thanks for clearing that up. Although south dakotah's mean elevation is 700 ft lower then california, which is what i was going off of.

Last edited by Jimmykoz; 08-10-2014 at 02:45 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:20 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

240 on 6 gal tank with 103ci motor and engine mods??? I call BS unless the US switched to kms while I've been living in Japan all these years. That's like 40/gal IF you use every drop. I'm lucky if I get 200km/to a 5 gal tank on a good day and all I got is 96ci motor w/cam. Okay, so you got the fairing which makes a little bit of difference, but if I was getting 160mi (or about 260km)/tank I'd be TOTALLY happy. My bike performs well, so I don't b!tch about my 25mi/gal...and I pay MORE per gallon! If yer bike runs well, stop whinin'! If ya ride a Harley and worry about gas mileage, better sell it and get a fu(king Prius...

Old 08-10-2014, 04:54 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

Son and I went to the HD museum last Mon-Wed.. and I Noticed a drop of 3-5 mpg while on the road this trip.

Usually get 45-46 mpg on road but with the Ethanol and winds we both got 42-43 running at 70-75mph this time.
Didn't think it was too bad. Most of our stations here around home doesn't have Ethanol in the gas here in IND and it does make a Difference in Mileage..

Old 08-10-2014, 05:25 AM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
240 on 6 gal tank with 103ci motor and engine mods??? I call BS unless the US switched to kms while I've been living in Japan all these years. That's like 40/gal IF you use every drop. I'm lucky if I get 200km/to a 5 gal tank on a good day and all I got is 96ci motor w/cam. Okay, so you got the fairing which makes a little bit of difference, but if I was getting 160mi (or about 260km)/tank I'd be TOTALLY happy. My bike performs well, so I don't b!tch about my 25mi/gal...and I pay MORE per gallon! If yer bike runs well, stop whinin'! If ya ride a Harley and worry about gas mileage, better sell it and get a fu(king Prius...
I second that.

Quick Reply: Super bad gas mileage while on Sturgis Trip