General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Skully" High Tech Helmet

Old 08-11-2014, 04:40 PM
Hawk11nw
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Skully" High Tech Helmet

For all the gadget guys out there, I cant tell if its modular or not..

http://www.cnet.com/news/skully-open...h-tech-helmet/

Old 08-11-2014, 04:44 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Not modular $1300 Offers nothing other than HUD. See behind technology...Like mirrors

Anyone with an Android device can get wired GPS wired calling, Wired music though a good set of earbuds.

Price point will kill this lid.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:40 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts

I saw something like this using actual mirrors built into the helmet. nothing fancy. Don't know whatever happened to it, but, after a while, all that stuff adds to the weight of the lid, and makes it suck.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:53 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
Not modular $1300 Offers nothing other than HUD. See behind technology...Like mirrors

Anyone with an Android device can get wired GPS wired calling, Wired music though a good set of earbuds.

Price point will kill this lid.
Completely agree. I like the rear-view camera concept, but I'm definitely not spending that kind of cash for it. I don't want to get phone calls on the bike, and the only time I'm using GPS is if I get myself REALLY lost AND have to be somewhere at a specific time. Phone/GPS is in the saddlebag when I'm riding.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:39 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 304 Posts

They actually start at $1500. The $1300 was a promo discount for the first 125 pre-orders only. They sold those out in 8 minutes this morning. They had a goal of $250K. They actually raised over $800K. 569 pre-orders at last posted count. Obviously lots of riders want 'em but likely not many of the Harley crowd.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:12 PM
roadrash3
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I actually wanted one and really liked a few things about it. 1400 or whatever, they are high as a kite. I do not even want to spend 500 on a new simpson. A few wealthy people will buy that helmet and then bye bye, unless they find a way to substantially lower the price it won't be around long

Old 08-12-2014, 12:10 AM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the idea of extending and augmenting a rider's senses is an idea that won't die out. Whether this manufacturer creates the vehicle to bring such to the masses, who knows? But technology being what it is these days it's only a matter of time.

It's high-priced. Then again, lots of new technology costs an arm and a leg when it's first introduced. Remember what Blu-Ray units cost when they first hit the market? But when an idea's time has come, it's going to succeed. Cost, weight, any of the particulars are secondary. I'd be more curious to know if a significant number of riders are turned-on by something like this.

From the reports, that the first run sold out quickly, it appears there's a demand. Now, we'll see if the implementation is any good. If people like it, word will get around, and the demand will only increase. On the other hand, if these guys didn't do their homework, then the particulars (cost, weight, etc.) will overcome the idea in people's heads, and this particular helmet will fail.

My guess is, the success/failure of this device hinges on whether or not the technology is ready for prime time. It'll be interesting to see how this goes. Personally, I think it's cool. But I'd like to see one up close, try it on and test its features, before I'd spend $1500 for one.

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 08-12-2014 at 12:14 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:15 PM
jerry98b
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was following them and thought it was a cool concept. I also tried to be one of the beta testers; didn't work out. After seeing the price Very unrealistic! Looking at the tech and the hardware; I expected a price tag of around $800 max.

I hope that others will start to develop similar products and these will become as common as modular, integrated sun shields, bluetooth, and other options we see today. Even a basic camera/monitor helmet without gps, bluetooth, speedo, etc. would be nice and probably a lot cheaper.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:55 AM
Dyna_Syx
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stretchman
I saw something like this using actual mirrors built into the helmet. nothing fancy. Don't know whatever happened to it, but, after a while, all that stuff adds to the weight of the lid, and makes it suck.
REEVU
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/r...ar-view-helmet has a mirror system built in. I don't know how well it would work.

I agree on the Skully. If it were 4-600, I might be interested. At 1300, they can take a walk off of something tall on to something sharp.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:54 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't you just wear Google glasses inside your helmet and achieve the same effect?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Skully" High Tech Helmet