General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help!!!! Harley mechanic

Old 08-12-2014, 12:26 PM
vbboatcop
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need Help!!!! Harley mechanic

Hello To All:
Yesterday took my 2012 Fatboy Lo out for a ride and as I was riding I looked at the speedo and found that it stopped working. The digital screen as well as the speed indicator. I also noticed that the turn signals and hazards stopped working. No horn front brake when squeezed did not light the brake light. For what ever reason and lucky for my I stopped at a auto zone because there was a parking lot. I shut the bike off and tried to figure out what was wrong. Well after a few minutes I figured I better get it home and tried to start the bike would not start. Nothing not a click it was completely dead. I started to get worried I did not want to call a tow truck. I took the seat off and found the fuse harness which contained a large 40 amp and two 15 amp fuses. The fuse labeled (Batt) meaning Battery I guess was blown. I was pretty happy to find the blown fuse walked into the store and purchased 2 fuses. I replaced the fuse and everything worked. As I was on my way home the same thing happened. When I got home took the seat off and the same fuse was blown.
I have not added anything to the bike and never had the problem before. I spent a good 2 hour looking at the wires to see if there was a tear or break and could not find anything. I did not rip the wiring harnesses apart. I blew a total of 6 fuses yesterday fooling with it.
Does anyone have a clue as to whats going on I sure don't and can't imagine what Harley will charge for that.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:38 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My advice is always work downhill from the battery. Unfortunately you may need a small supply of fuses. Closely inspect battery terminals. Is the batter lose in the tray, battery shifts and positive touches frame? After ruling out anything directly connected to the battery move on. First, turn key on but don't start engine. Let it sit a few minutes? Did it blow? Now start but don't ride. Check fuse right away. Did something in the starter circuit fry it? Let idle a few minutes. Did it blow? Try a few circuits one at a time while it is idling. Turn signals, then horn, high beam, low beam, brake lights. Something is tripping the fuse. Have to determine what. If you have a schematic, research that circuit and see what is on it. If nothing blows, then start disconnecting circuits one at a time and replace when the circuit is cleared. One circuit at a time should help you find out which one is tripping your fuse.

I don't have a lot of time trouble shooting late model HD electrical systems, but in the old days, you could check continuity on each circuit with your multimeter. If you can, this will speed up the process.

Last edited by dgdamore; 08-12-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:59 PM
vbboatcop
1st Gear

Thanks for your suggestions. I guess I can eliminate the head lights high and low beam, running lights because they worked with the fuse and with the fuse blown. Same for the rear brake light. I better go get a electrical diagram. I don't think I want to open those factory wrapped harnesses around the battery. They are all secured with wire ties and wrapping. The battery is secure and the connections are tight. I thought I had the answer last night on the last try. The seat has a metal tab that secures it to the frame I thought that was hitting the battery. I taped it all yup replaced fuse took it for a ride shut it off and started it 3 times and nothing blew. Pulled in the garage shut it off I was so happy. As I walked away I said try it again just to see. I turn the switch and the fuse was blown I just walked away defeated. LOL

Old 08-12-2014, 03:07 PM
SJ58
Road Warrior

Sounds to me like a possible bad voltage regulator overcharging and blowing fuses.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:14 PM
Steve635
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SJ58
Sounds to me like a possible bad voltage regulator overcharging and blowing fuses.
I concur, long time ago but had a similar problem on an 87' FXRP, was indeed the voltage regulator.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:30 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep us posted. I'm curious as to what you find.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:29 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

While the bike is running check the voltage at idle at about 2200rpm, voltage at rpm should be 14.2-14.5v.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:53 PM
vbboatcop
1st Gear

Awesome a place to start. I did not get a chance to fool with it today but I will try tomorrow. I was just thinking my son has a 2014 street bob with a 103 engine his voltage regulator should be the same as mine. I should be able to switch them or put his on mine and see what happens. I will try this tomorrow.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:08 PM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

As dgdamore suggest get a wire diagram for the bike and figure out what systems work off that fuse. Then systematically eliminate each system until you find the culprit. When trouble shooting move the wires around. From your description I think you have a bare wire somewhere, but I would also check the voltage regulator as well.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:31 PM
vbboatcop
1st Gear

Just like to say thank you for all your help. I located the problem and it is now fixed. I had plans to start at the voltage regulator however my son forgot I needed his bike for parts and rode to work leaving me with out another regulator. So I started at the battery and worked my way down. I also started checking different circuits. Starting at the key switch. no problems located. I still had a feeling it had something to do with the front brake. So I wire tied the brake lever so as to apply brake with key on and still nothing. I then though maybe it was turning the wheel with the brake on. So I started turning the wheel back and forth and guess what it shorted out. I could not believe it. So I put a fresh fuse in and did it again and it popped again. I then inspected the handle bars and neck area and found the issue. The harness from the brake was long and drooped down to where when you turned right the stop brace was pinching the harness between it and the neck. I opened the harness and found 3 wires had been flattened. 2 were flat but ok the third was cut and exposed. I repaired the wire and zip tied the harness and it is now fixed. The fuse would only pop when the front brake was applied and you turned to the right.
Once again thanks for your help and suggestions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Help!!!! Harley mechanic