General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"situation" averted

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 09:08 PM
harleydodge
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "situation" averted

I just want to vent a little, and maybe help someone else "avert" a "situation" also.

The Wife and I spent a great day out touring around last Sunday. We put about 500Km (Canuck ) on and visited some family.

On the way home we decided to grab the highway and "just get home". You guys know what I mean.
Well, Sunday evening traffic was heavy to the point of "stop and go" for a couple of hours and we were really glad to hit a restaurant close to home to grab some dinner.

After that, we hit the road on our last leg or the trip, full guts and tired eyes.

The road on which we live in in the midst of being repaved, and about a mile from our place, we hit the gravel and I slowed to a safe and comfortable pace on the freshly graded loose gravel.

I look in the mirror, and all of a sudden there's a car not more than 3ft of my ***. This pisses me off, and so I turned and let the guy know I wasn't impressed with a familiar gesture. (.!..)
I don't know if he was drunk or what, but next thing i know, he passes me and then starts spinning his tires and throwing gravel, while returning the gesture previously mentioned.

Now I'm more than pissed. Seeing red and feeling helpless with the OL on the back.

We followed from a distance for about a half mile until we got to our driveway, where I pulled in to the end of the laneway shut off the bike and kicked her up on the stand, hit the garage where I knew my golf bag was sitting and grabbed the 9 iron.
Jumped in the truck (still in full riding gear including helmet) fired it up and flew out down the road after this idiot that pissed me off. ( yes I took the helmet off on route lol)

Anyway, the guy must have turned off someplace, but I never caught up with him, and I was doing about 80mph on the gravel now that I was safely in my truck.

Well...I as you might expect, a day or two went by and I slowly came to realize that I likely got off lucky.
Who knows what might have happened if I had actually caught up with him, but it would not have ended well, no matter what.

I guess I'm getting old, but the Moral of my story is Live and let Live. Take time to Breathe and relax before you "lose it" and do something you may regret.

Peace.

Last edited by harleydodge; 08-12-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:11 PM
Bocefus
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Losing it sometimes is fun.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:26 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

The old 9 iron side the head trick huh?

Old 08-12-2014, 09:29 PM
harleydodge
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crashone
The old 9 iron side the head trick huh?
As I was trying to explain, it was a "knee jerk" type reaction, but ya, that was the idea.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:42 PM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you never caught up with the guy.

One of the smartest things I've done is put the middle finger away and use my index finger to just wave it at folks like my pops used to when I screwed up. That gesture tends to make people think for a second instead of the automatic anger the middle finger brings out.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:45 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,765 Likes on 6,202 Posts

Just take the penalty stroke. You would have sliced it anyway.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:53 PM
Ironhand
Road Master

Man, you really did it now. The Net Nannies will be chiding and slapping you on the wrist. Sometimes **** happens. Glad you and yours made it home

Old 08-12-2014, 11:10 PM
TwinCooled
Banned

Well since you are in Canada, you had no better option than the 9 iron. Just sayin...

Old 08-13-2014, 12:02 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Glad you didn't find him too. You'd be cuffed and stuffed. Violence would only encourage more and you being the aggressor, would have meant time away from your family.

I do understand how you felt, I probably would have felt the same and showed he was number one. But as soon as he passed me, I'd have let off and dropped back, knowing that he was going to do something stupid.

Good to know the adult in you showed up.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:36 AM
Recycled
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, not worth ending a perfectly good day confronting someone that doesn't mean squat. Who knows or cares what his deal was. I mean damn, you could have ruined a perfectly good 9 iron!
Congrats on the realization that a quick "cooldown" was the best option.

Quick Reply: "situation" averted