General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding the Twisties

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 12:02 PM
Bulldog10
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Riding the Twisties

So I've had cruisers, HDs, and race rockets. I don't think I'm cornering that aggressively but my 07 softail custom routinely gives sparks as feedback. Am I really pushing the bike that hard or is this an easy fix that I should look into?? Thanks!!

Old 08-13-2014, 12:20 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts
Cool

Press the inside bar while leaning your shoulder and body into the corner. This will allow the bike to stay more upright and be less prone to dragging the boards or pegs. The more you lean your body weight toward the apex of the curve, the sharper you can turn. While an extreme example, watch superbike or moto gp riders corner. You won't need to hang off to that degree but the princicple is the same.

Keep in mind, you bought a heavy motorcycle with poor suspension at best. If you want to really go fast around the corners you'll need to:

Modify your riding style
Modify your suspension
Or buy another motorcycle

Old 08-13-2014, 12:29 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Some bikes have a higher degree of allowable lean angle than others. Lowered suspension, low hanging exhaust, pegs that stick out farther all contribute. It's something to look at anyway.

On a ride through some twisties a few weeks back, I put a pretty big gap between myself and my riding partners, who were on big full dress yamahas. I was riding my sportster. They were saying they were dragging the pegs.
Then, this last Saturday up in the foothills on a different set of twisties, a guy on a bagger went around me like I was draggin' an anchor. I reckon it was due to superior riding skills, or more cornering clearance.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:21 PM
lloyd123
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Press the inside bar while leaning your shoulder and body into the corner. This will allow the bike to stay more upright and be less prone to dragging the boards or pegs. The more you lean your body weight toward the apex of the curve, the sharper you can turn. While an extreme example, watch superbike or moto gp riders corner. You won't need to hang off to that degree but the princicple is the same.

Keep in mind, you bought a heavy motorcycle with poor suspension at best. If you want to really go fast around the corners you'll need to:

Modify your riding style
Modify your suspension
Or buy another motorcycle
Pressing the inside bar will not allow bike to stay more upright. It is the opposite.Pressing the bar will sharpen the lean angle

Old 08-13-2014, 01:28 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Softtails have very little ground clearance. They are not "twistie" material.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:39 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Thumper09
I agree. I will never understand the need to ride he twistys on this kind of bike. Right tool for the right job comes to mind. If I Want to tackle the twistys i will borrow my brother's Ducati.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:47 PM
TheRooster
Road Master

Originally Posted by Thumper09
This.

I can get my bike to scrap exhaust/boots on flat pavement if I push a round-about going about 35 to 40.

Note, I can't scrape pegs because:

1) My foot is too wide on the left peg
2) My exhaust it too low on the right side

The last shop I took it to when I got the cams upgraded kind of laughed and tapped the heat shield with his boot when I asked them about higher-set pipes so I could go faster around the corners. I believe the service manager's words were "Well, at least you're definitely ridin' it. And that would be why your heat shield rattles."

So no, chances are your Softie isn't a corner-carver. Sorry man.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:20 PM
MinAz
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got my dyna set up to do the twisties as best I can, and I still tag my mids from time to time (scares the crap out of me every time, never gets better) I'm gonna go to a taller rear shock as my front is already taller than stock (race-tech). As for a softail stand point its really not built to blast through turns. As stated above, enjoy the ride take turns a little slower and you'll be alright. When I ride my road king I take the same rides, just gotta go a little slower.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-13-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:20 PM
KROMEBLK
Advanced

Originally Posted by lloyd123
pressing the inside bar will not allow bike to stay more upright. It is the opposite.pressing the bar will sharpen the lean angle
this is correct and is known as counter steering - the bike falls to the side of which the handlebar is being pushed on . If you are going around a high speed curve and you turn the handlebar in the direction of the curve you will find yourself in the intensive care unit or somewhere else . Try it on a flat straight road , you will then understand . This is the only way to aim a motorcycle . Slow speed parking lot manuevers are different . It all has to do with physics and velocity - the wheels on your motorcycle are gyro's . If you fail to understand this law of physics you are and will fight every curve on the road . Not understanding this is why cycle riders blow curves and wind up meeting a really nice person in the bed next to them at the hospital . Have fun -

Old 08-13-2014, 02:43 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,406 Posts

If you accelerate more through the corners, you will make the bike sit up more and give yourself a little more clearance.

If you are on the brakes when you enter the corner, you will be loading the suspension and the bike will be lower.

But if it's a softail and you have big floorboards and low pipes, you may well still drag a bit....

Quick Reply: Riding the Twisties