General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

U-turn without duckwalking... big deal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 05:55 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by babygorilla
Started riding Dirt when I was 5, so I have a slightly unfair advantage, as was evident during my rider skills course.
I had the same advantage, especially with "head and eyes". Look at tree; hit tree, look down cliff; go down cliff!
Some lessons were painful.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:32 AM
Twospot
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
This is an awesome post ^^.

I live on the edge of town, and the road past my subdivision is brand new, gorgeous blacktop, that turns to gravel about two miles away. There is almost never any traffic. I start with 25 mph maximum stops, and work my way up, 10 mph at a time, until I'm doing maximum braking from 65 mph.

The road has fog lines on both sides, and I practice u-turns and figure eights, and see how far inside the fog lines I can go.

Then I practice some fairly aggressive weaves using the dotted center line.

When I leave the house to go anywhere, there are three stops signs to get out of the subdivision. Keep in mind, everyone who works is gone, there is nobody out and about at all. Nonetheless, every stop sign is an opportunity to practice: just as I come to a dead stop the left foot goes down, I look left, then right, then left again and go. Three times. I try to make every stop perfect, zero lean, zero wiggle, left foot down, look, look, look, go.

When I come home, as I'm pulling into the driveway in front of the garage, I do a 720 in one direction, and into the garage. The next ride, I do a 720 the other direction, then into the garage. I try to do them as tight as I can, with the second circle tighter than the first.
I wish I lived near you. I need a riding buddy and would prefer it was someone with mad skills like you. I'm happy when I do a perfect 90 let a lone a 720. Yesterday I signed for RLAP NJ class on 9/26. Really excited but nervous. In the meantime I really am trying to get out and practice.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:35 AM
Twospot
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
I had the same advantage, especially with "head and eyes". Look at tree; hit tree, look down cliff; go down cliff!
Some lessons were painful.
I wish I grew up on them. The experience you guys have on the dirt is invaluable on the street.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:51 AM
aliass
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baka1969
I can balance myself for a few seconds or so but don't find the trick to be overly practical. Yes, having balance is a form of control. However, I don't find it useful on a day-to-day basis.

its a lot more useful that a duck walk

Old 08-04-2015, 10:51 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

My HOG chapter just organised a day's Slow Riding course this last weekend. We had about 10 bikes attend and it was great.

I practice slow speed U turns, slaloms, emergency stops and stuff all the time, but it was good to have a proper course marked out with cones and specific exercises to do. Very valuable practice and you could see the skill level of people in the group who hadn't done much slow riding just get better and better as the day progressed.

So to echo many in this thread, it's about looking where you want to go, having good clutch control and being confident that the bike can do what you ask of it. And lot of practice of course....

Old 08-04-2015, 12:15 PM
babygorilla
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Twospot
I wish I grew up on them. The experience you guys have on the dirt is invaluable on the street.
Not so sure about that. You also pick up some bad habits that you have to break yourself of. I.E. making a hard turn and planting your foot. Okay with a 200# bike, but not a good idea with an 800# bike, lol.

Also, along with a few dirtbikes over the years, we had three wheelers (ATC's) too. Look them up. Not sure if my parents liked me and my brother or were secretly trying to kill us.....

Old 08-04-2015, 11:24 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by aliass
its a lot more useful that a duck walk
Quack

Old 08-05-2015, 05:48 AM
aliass
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baka1969