General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mechanic training for a retirement job

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 05:16 PM
Gazzalodi
Road Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Mechanic training for a retirement job

So after 30+ years I've retired and have begun to officially annoy the wife. So to get me out of the house for a while I'm thinking about doing the motorcycle mechanic course at Lincoln Tech in East Windsor CT.

Before I drop 20k+ on the program though, I'm feeling around to see what people think about this training and the school itself.

Anyone here attend LTI? Looking for info on what people think of the training, what the shops think of a LTI certification, did it impact +/- on job searches, etc... from people with actual experience with the school.

I've spoken to a local dealer shop and one of the guys there was pretty thumbs up about it, they have 4 grads working there. But I'm thinking it might just be because they are local and LTI provides for easy pickings. We plan on moving back west in a couple of years so I wouldn't be applying there.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:47 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Never heard of it, but I can tell you that around where I live in NE Ohio, the dealers won't hire you unless you have HD certification. If you can get it at at LTI, then you'll probably be OK. My niece is a HD tech working at a dealership and she makes pretty decent money, but the hours are horrible in the warm months. She works 5 11 hour days all summer long. Her days off are Sunday and Monday. Other techs are off different days. She is at her 2nd dealership and it has been the same at both places. In the winter, she usually gets cut back to about 30-35 hours. You can make some money if you are good, efficient, stay on the job and don't take a dozen breaks a day. Take a lot of breaks, take 2 hours to do a 1 hour job, and your efficiency takes a hit and so will your paycheck.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:57 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

a decent salesman should make as much or more than a mechanic...and you would not have to spend 20k on school.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:31 PM
Throttle_Jockey
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another question would be..... What type of career did you retire from?

Old 08-24-2014, 08:29 PM
Gazzalodi
Road Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Throttle_Jockey
Another question would be..... What type of career did you retire from?
Comms in the foreign service. Radio/Satellite/HVAC/Generator tech basically.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:31 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,588 Likes on 4,613 Posts

As a professional mechanic/tech for 46 years, if I could do it all over again..... I'd learn to sing and dance!

seriously, unless you have gear oil in your veins, and if you are counting on the income, you might want to pass. working on cars, is much easier to make decent money on, and those days are getting harder and harder. I couldn't afford to work on bikes at a dealer/shop, at least out here. they just don't pay enough. I work on bikes out of my garage, and doing it after regular work hours gives me extra money and satisfies the desire to work on them. that makes it worthwhile. I'm not HD certified, but I am ASE certified master mechanic, and nuts and bolts are nuts and bolts. You really need to want to be a tech, first and foremost. that fills up the gaps in the job as a whole. In my opinion, shooting 20k at the school, is a non win situation. You might be better off getting into a local shop, willing to work cheap as some kind of apprentice, most likely you will lean more that way if there is somebody willing to take you under their wing, providing that you are worthy of such, that means showing them just how much it means to you to learn.

also, you will need your own tools, not at the school, but everywhere else, and if you think you're getting away with a few hundred bucks , think again!! that 20k for the school will make a good start on what you need

Last edited by harleycharlie1992; 08-24-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:07 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
seriously, unless you have gear oil in your veins, and if you are counting on the income, you might want to pass.
I can't speak for Gazzalodi, I will retire in 5 years. My pension will be more than enough to live on. At 55 I will be doing the same thing probably going back to school to learn a new trade or getting another job. What ever I do it will not be for the money but more to keep my mind occupied. I will have to enjoy what I am doing.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:12 PM
Throttle_Jockey
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HarleyCharlie speaks the truth. This was the reason for my previous question.

Unless you just want to waste the money for personal experience I say go for it. 15 years ago your investment might have paid off, but would be a big gamble IMO today.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:05 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,546 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Gazzalodi
Comms in the foreign service. Radio/Satellite/HVAC/Generator tech basically.
Everything you listed is in high demand and pays well, much better than mechanics wages. Why not contract yourself out with the skill sets that you already have? One of the better gigs going is contracting with the cellphone companies to maintain their cell towers. They all have backup battery banks and the remote towers have backup generators, all of which requires periodic maintenance. Easy work that pays very very well.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:25 PM
13dino
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,234 Likes on 1,126 Posts

Sales/consultant is your best bet due to past on-hand experience/knowledge. Also can go off on your own bidding for contracts. You have good skills which should be an easier choice for how you want to work while retired w/o additional expense.

If just to keep busy, work part time somewhere that is enjoyable to you if monetary income is not of importance.

Quick Reply: Mechanic training for a retirement job