General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I moving to fast??

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 05:09 PM
KnarleyHarley
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Am I moving to fast??

Bought my '09 RKC in the middle of july, first bike ever. I've put 1030 miles since. Mostly out of town secondary roads to get comfortable with it.
Not ashamed here, but I've let it down twice on highway bars, 1st time bringing it home and forgot to put kickstand down in driveway, 2nd time I was going to park it and while parking I used front brake and "down it went" because I was turning. Both were gentle...I've stalled it 4 times by letting clutch out too fast not enough throttle.
I've ridden in our neighborhood with a passenger and a short distance out of town with one as well.
I've gone as fast as 90mph, on secondary roads of course. I feel very comfortable with the bike in a months time, gotten better at slow rolls at stop lights without putting feet down, and gotten more corfortable at "riding in local traffic". But, I still haven't ridden on our local freeways, so thats next...suggestions

Old 08-25-2014, 05:16 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

I think riding with a passenger is irresponsible with your extremely limited riding experience and skill. If you want to risk yourself, so be it. But who are you to risk someone else?

Old 08-25-2014, 05:30 PM
Mickey Shane
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can make it go and stop. Make it turn right and left, you are in control. Go jump the Snake river canyon before somebody else does it!

Old 08-25-2014, 05:35 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,875 Likes on 17,362 Posts

Knarley, you're gonna get a wide range of answers/comments on this one. Have you taken any type of riding course? Many of us who have ridden all our lives have not but for new riders (and some who have been riding a long time) it may be invaluable for not only the technical skill but your confidence level as well.
I have to agree with Baka's comment...having someone else on your bike if you do not feel comfortable doesn't seem like a good move at this point. As far as riding on the freeway/highway I'd suggest practicing during off peak traffic hours.

Best of luck and let us know how it's coming along.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:41 PM
josame
Road Master
Received 286 Likes on 161 Posts

yeah , it's probably a good idea to stay away from the 2 up riding for a while at lead till you feel confident in your abilities. I doubt you will forget to put the kick stand down again as these bikes can be tough to pick back up. Its best to use your back brake while moving slow in parking lots and such. As far as freeways go keep up with traffic, don't hang behind or beside semi trucks or anything that doesn't look like a secure load. Just be aware of everything around you.
When you do get to going 2 up riding make sure your passenger knows to alert you when getting on or off the bike or leaning over to reach for something. My wife and I were stopped at a light and she leaned over to get her water out of the saddle bag guard holder with out letting me know and we almost went all the way over, now she knows to let me know before she leans over.
Just keep riding and it all gets easier with time and miles.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:45 PM
Jimbojo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OKMICK
Knarley, you're gonna get a wide range of answers/comments on this one. Have you taken any type of riding course? Many of us who have ridden all our lives have not but for new riders (and some who have been riding a long time) it may be invaluable for not only the technical skill but your confidence level as well.
I have to agree with Baka's comment...having someone else on your bike if you do not feel comfortable doesn't seem like a good move at this point. As far as riding on the freeway/highway I'd suggest practicing during off peak traffic hours.

Best of luck and let us know how it's coming along.

I second taking a riding course. Also if you know anyone with a smaller bike that you can get some practice time on, that might help. Most of us that have been riding a while started on smaller bikes when we were younger. It is a lot more confidence building to be on a bike that weighs less when you are working on slow speed maneuvers. A few sessions on a lighter bike may be all you need to boost your confidence on the RK. Good luck.

Jimbo

Old 08-25-2014, 05:47 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Originally Posted by KnarleyHarley
RKC..... first bike ever.
I've ridden.......with a passenger.
I've gone as fast as 90mph, on secondary roads of course....suggestions
Originally Posted by KnarleyHarley
Am I moving to fast??
Based on the above quoted paraphrasing, yes.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:07 PM
KnarleyHarley
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks everyone! I'm getting more confident of my own abilities, and improving. I can handle the weight of the bike, "picked it up on my own both times". I did take the MSF course, wouldn't have done it any other way! I've improved on braking and throttle control and getting better.
I'm a very defensive driver in both my truck and scooter. If I can help it I don't allow myself to be "stuck in the middle traffic" prefer to be ahead or off to the back, thats just the way I drive.
As far as passenger is concerned, it's mostly been in my neighborhood which I've routed to a 5 mile path. Just getting used to the add'l weight with stops, turning right, left. I live on the west end of the city, so it takes me about 4 miles and I'm out of city traffic.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:13 PM
exemexer
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was pretty much in the same boat when I started. And I also did some 2-up before I was ready but fortunately luck prevailed.
Continue what you are doing (minus the 2-up), push yourself a little bit further each time and get as much loan-saddle time as possible. More & more time in the saddle is totally important - nothing else works better than experience at your own pace. Ride every chance you get - the more you do, the more you'll want to. You'll be surprised how much is learned in short order but stay in you comfort zone, it will expand naturally and before too long the freeways will feel like home.
I personnally prefer freeway over city (or in-town) because everybody's going roughly the same speed and same direction, nobody coming at you from a side street or turning left in front of you, you can out-accelerate most anybody else (to get out of a wierd or uncomfortable situation) and best of all your bike likes it too. Just pick a time you feel like it and hit the on-ramp. Roll the throttle out through the gears, merge on, go a mile or so or even just to the next exit & get a taste of it. Each time after that you will feel more confident. This is a fun time for you right now - you're an explorer, and it only gets funner. Stay with it and keep your head on the swivel. Keep us toasted.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:15 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Take a riders course on that bike. In ca. a riders course lets you skip the dmv test. It sound like you would not have passed the dmv test to me. No bashing you but you need more practice.

Quick Reply: Am I moving to fast??